Old 06-10-2007, 09:45 PM

Default Re: Sopranos Season Finale Discussion

Crunch. Shivers
Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM

I have a bad feeling
Old 06-10-2007, 10:07 PM

I think it was a great last episode, plenty of laughs, and a non-cliche ending. Couldn't ask for more.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:46 PM

the ending is a crafted jolt to the viewers. i can understand people standing on "that ending sucked", i can understand people being struck and then going on to accept or like or love it. but to say it's perfect within seconds of the credits rolling seems like you're skipping over the mourning phase. how can you say something was great despite difficulty if you never actually internalized the difficulty? it's like everyone wants to be the first to "get it".
Old 06-10-2007, 10:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the ending is a crafted jolt to the viewers. i can understand people standing on "that ending sucked", i can understand people being struck and then going on to accept or like or love it. but to instantly say it's perfect seems like you're skipping over the mourning phase. how can you say something was great despite difficulty if you never actually internalized the difficulty? it's like everyone wants to be the first to "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt they held on the black screen for too long - that's my only problem with it. still, i feel like that's what life is like for tony soprano - one minute you're ordering off a menu, the next you could be dead - it's a quick cut, no goodbye endings, nothing operatic or grand.

if it suggests death, so be it - the show is by and large about death. is the soprano family depressed because of how close they are to death, or does their tendency towards depression lead them into these choices?
Old 06-11-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the ending is a crafted jolt to the viewers. i can understand people standing on "that ending sucked", i can understand people being struck and then going on to accept or like or love it. but to instantly say it's perfect seems like you're skipping over the mourning phase. how can you say something was great despite difficulty if you never actually internalized the difficulty? it's like everyone wants to be the first to "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt they held on the black screen for too long - that's my only problem with it. still, i feel like that's what life is like for tony soprano - one minute you're ordering off a menu, the next you could be dead - it's a quick cut, no goodbye endings, nothing operatic or grand.

if it suggests death, so be it - the show is by and large about death. is the soprano family depressed because of how close they are to death, or does their tendency towards depression lead them into these choices?

[/ QUOTE ]

At least one person on this thread understood the ending.

This was a show about the life and psychology of a man, Tony Soprano, who was both the head of a mafia and a father to a dysfunctional family. Those of you who watched the show to see expositiory depictions of exact happenings should go watch an episode of "Friends." No matter how you look at it, the last shot shows you the position that Tony is in now, which is more than enough. He has a son who is entirely detached from life as Tony knows it, but maybe he is starting to turn around. Maybe a week from now he's going to quit that job. Thank god he didn't sign any papers (yet). He has a wife who is ultimately dissatisfied with her position as a house-wife and, in some respects, as a mother - but maybe things will be OK now that his daughter may make 170K as an attorney or if Tony spends more money to help her invest in property. You have the FBI accumulating enough evidence to put you away for life and everytime the door to a diner opens or someone gets up to go to the men's room, you may be worried that a bullet is going through your brain. Maybe it just has - just as you're beautiful, smart-as-a-whip daughter walks into this [censored] North Jersey diner that, in your opinion, has "the best onion rings in the state." This is Tony's life now: his slowly mending dysfunctional family, a [censored] diner, several members of his family dead, and the fear of having a bullet lodged in his head / being sent off to jail. If that's not an ending, I don't know what is.

Barry
Old 06-10-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
the ending is a crafted jolt to the viewers. i can understand people standing on "that ending sucked", i can understand people being struck and then going on to accept or like or love it. but to say it's perfect within seconds of the credits rolling seems like you're skipping over the mourning phase. how can you say something was great despite difficulty if you never actually internalized the difficulty? it's like everyone wants to be the first to "get it".

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, good point, it's like the 2 guys from the Guiness commercials - "Brilliant!Genius!".
Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 PM

the scene at the buffet at the funeral was also classic.
Old 06-10-2007, 10:51 PM

So how can they spend so much time and development on the whole Kevin Finnerty thing, and then just let it fall flat with no payoff at all?
Old 06-10-2007, 10:53 PM

i thought the last scene was great , tony and carmela accepting that tony is going to prison , the tension between tony and the creepy guy , the "normal" family just sitting around eating dinner at a diner like normal people...and the journey song playing in the background just was the icing on the cake ...GG david chase ...