Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-21-2007, 12:28 PM

Default Re: My *#(@! Wife wants to invest in a pyramid scheme

Be supportive of her wanting to start a business at home. That's great. But make the point that she's putting both of you into it (since you're married) and that she should find something that you BOTH agree is a good idea.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Be supportive of her wanting to start a business at home. That's great. But make the point that she's putting both of you into it (since you're married) and that she should find something that you BOTH agree is a good idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree this is a good idea, try to deflect her away from this disaster course. The wife of one of my close friends got hooked from when Amway rebranded as Quixstar and went fanatical about it. It got so bad that I started avoiding my friend for fear of having protracted arguements with his wife who insisted on trying to "convert" me.

MLM's prey upon your social networks and its not just money at stake when people get involved with these but relationships with family and friends.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:23 PM

I think your response should begin with:

"Woman, ..."
Old 06-21-2007, 02:17 PM

If she absolutely is going to fly off to wherever to learn about this you should definitely go with her, incase they try to sign her up for something that costs enough to hurt.
Old 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 PM

I've heard that the only people making $$$ on pyramid schemes is the highest boss and his friends who are allowed to sign up right below him..
But since this appears not to be a pyramid but something with an M in it, I don't know.

Anyways:
1. I've heard that it's not so hard to start up your own mini-business at home where you generate a small buck by not doing much.
2. Poker, we're at 2+2... Give her a book and $475 to play for! (guess the price for a good book is about $25).
3. Stocks? Loads of bucks in it, I've heard... Index founds should be a safe 8% a year I've also heard...
4. BlackJack bonuses. Rare to find with profit now but from time to time there should be a deal worth checking out.
5. Don't know but I'm sure there's something... All of the above should make more the some kind of scheme I guess.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:11 PM

Well, I think you should focus on how it's a good idea for her to try some entrepeneurial activity, but suggest that she consider some other, legitimate home based businesses. Dig up some dirt on multi-level marketing/pyramid schemes and convince her that it's a bad idea--but I wouldn't make her feel stupid about falling for it or else you'll just solidify her stance.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This sucks. You have to come to grips with the fact that your wife of 23 years is dumb enough to want to do this. Sorry, but absolutely do not let her do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

and link her to this thread
Old 06-21-2007, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This sucks. You have to come to grips with the fact that your wife of 23 years is dumb enough to want to do this. Sorry, but absolutely do not let her do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

and link her to this thread

[/ QUOTE ]

Well good news, she came to her senses, saw that the people running this company have been sued or imprisoned, decided to back out before any money was spent. Whew that was close!!!

They're running 3 scams the way I see it.

1) Get gullible people to spend at least $500 on initial startup "products", and then getting those people to find more $500 ([censored]) contributors

2) Sell crappy products that do not do anything "scientific" and are themselves a rip-off

3) Commit credit card fraud to the people who actually do make purchases from these guys. Bill them for subscriptions and products they didn't order, then have a non-existant customer service dept to handle the complaints.

Pretty nice setup for those guys.. lotsa scamming all in one big package for the gullible victims to fall into. Scary!

Thanks ya'll.. BB
Old 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM

Great, Big Bend: But what is she planning to do now? Only because this kind of business didn't fit her (which is good, since it won't lead anywhere!) it doesn't mean that she has no opportunity to find another way to make some easy bucks.