Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-04-2006, 04:13 AM

Default Re: Treatment Towards Beggar

[ QUOTE ]
throw a penny in the middle of the street and watch the fun

[/ QUOTE ]

Like a bum will even get up for less than fifty cents these days. In my day they got fifteen cents and liked it!
Old 12-04-2006, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i look em right in they eye and keep walking

if they get in my way or follow me or interrupt a conversation i'm having i yell at them

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be tough. I tried something like that once and the guy threw a garbage can at me. Called me 'Whitey' as he hurled it, too.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:15 AM

I walk past them like they don't exist, literally do not acknowledge them at all. This pisses them off sometimes but I couldn't give a [censored]. I guess this is easier if you live in the city and get harrassed literally every day. I know for a fact that some of these people make surprisingly good money and can afford apartments or even cars. When you give money you're helping to trap them into a vicious cycle of begging and subsistance living. Often you're doing nothing but perpetuating drug addictions. If you really want to help, give money to a food bank or an organization that helps the homeless.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:17 AM

making eye contact is perfectly fine, but you have to say something if you do, otherwise they will hastle you. i lived in nyc for several years and found that the easiest thing for me is to just acknowledge them and say something like sorry, or no change.

they won't hastle you if you acknowledge them and say that you aren't going to give them anything. you don't need to yell at anyone. generally if you treat them respectfully like a human being they will treat you the same.

i do give people change sometimes. some guys look like they really need a drink and i'll give them change if it's in my pocket. also, sometimes when i'm out drinking i will give someone cash if they are chill. lots of times these guys just like to talk to someone for a little while and often times they are chill people.

a lot of homeless people have mental diseases and are just too poor to afford proper treatment. often times they turn to alcohol or drugs to try and self medicate. don't be to quick to judge.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
making eye contact is perfectly fine, but you have to say something if you do, otherwise they will hastle you. i lived in nyc for several years and found that the easiest thing for me is to just acknowledge them and say something like sorry, or no change.

they won't hastle you if you acknowledge them and say that you aren't going to give them anything. you don't need to yell at anyone. generally if you treat them respectfully like a human being they will treat you the same.

[/ QUOTE ]

they'll hassle you if you look like the kinda shook ass white boy who will give them some money. the more you respect or acknowledge them the more they're going to bother you.

your approach is retarded and you're wrong.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[

they'll hassle you if you look like the kinda shook ass white boy who will give them some money. the more you respect or acknowledge them the more they're going to bother you.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am that shook ass white boy, and this method works fine for me. I only give money to the occasional sad looking kid with a sign.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:23 AM

NT! that is pretty [censored] ed up man. pretty crazy that just because someone is on the street you think they don't deserve a simple acknowledgement that they exist. if someone asks me a question, i'm going to answer them. if they ask me for money and i don't want to give it to them, i am going to tell them that and not ignore them like a child. why don't you try it next time someone asks you for money. look them in the eyes and say no. trust me, they won't keep hastling you.

this is how i have dealt with people begging for 2 years in nyc and i can't think of the last time someone asked a second time after i said something like sorry or i don't have any change. why all the hate man?
Old 12-04-2006, 04:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i generally look them in the eye and say i don't have any change. i've never been hassled twice. i guarantee you look a lot more shook if you try not to even acknowledge them.

also, you're retarded and wrong.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 AM

I think this varies place to place. Here in seattle most beggars are actually pretty polite. If they ask for change, I just look at them and say "sorry" - sometimes they'll even say something like "thanks anyways".

Back east (boston mostly), beggars seemed more agressive on the whole, and I would make more of an effort to avoid any eye contact.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT! that is pretty [censored] ed up man. pretty crazy that just because someone is on the street you think they don't deserve a simple acknowledgement that they exist. if someone asks me a question, i'm going to answer them. if they ask me for money and i don't want to give it to them, i am going to tell them that and not ignore them like a child. why don't you try it next time someone asks you for money. look them in the eyes and say no. trust me, they won't keep hastling you.

[/ QUOTE ]

you don't deal with NYC bums. none of these guys would piss on you if you were on fire, except to keep the money in your wallet from getting burnt. i don't get hassled in the streets. a blank stare and keep it moving is the best option by far.

EDIT: just saw your edit, i am very surprised you take this approach with NYC bums. they're aggressive and obnoxious. i don't say a word and it has served me fine.