Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-08-2006, 10:08 AM

Default Re: TT overpair---Trapped OOP! Help! PP 11$

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've just started SnG's at Stars so i may be off with this but my feeling is you should have raised PF and cannot get away from it given the flop and action.

That stacks are way to shallow to justify a reason to escape a PP that's facing all un-coordinated undercards. I don't see how this is anything but standard. Please correct me if i'm suggesting too much aggression.

As far as the river, i think that i'll check/call 30% of the time and push the other 70.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was getting in a lot of trouble consistently raising TT from early. This is from LOTS of cash game and early blind level SNG/MTT action. This was one of those hands where I really felt like my opponent was calling me down with a better hand, and I felt like I may have misplayed it. Anyway, the stacks weren't THAT shallow. 53.33 big blinds in my mind could be too much to be losing against a guy who raised preflop.

Does anybody check this flop and see what the pfr does?

[/ QUOTE ]

When i said shallow stacks, i was talking about SNG's in general (especially at party poker) and the quickly increasing blinds. you really don't have time to make monster laydowns. YOu have to capitalize on all situations where you are given a hand to play with. Combine this with the fact that you are acting first and i think the only way you could possibly justify a laydown is if you check-raised him and he pushed.

I advocate a PFR because you have a really strong hand and don't want to play it multi-way, even if that means risking playing it OOP (plus i hate playing good hands with the blinds without raising). I raise 1010 always, and in every position, and will even re-raise PF if i feel comfortable enough with the table. THe problem with not re-raising (this may not be a problem) is that you don't give off the impression of a PP with this kind of flop texture, hence being called with with alot of hands you beat (A9, K9s, AK, etc) the only handi would think you had was a set, but since the board is relatively uncoordinated, i would play with you to the end with any decent holding.

THe fact he doesn't play back could very well be a set, but it could also be TP or some other BS. THere are so many weak holdings in this SnG's that i have a hard time justifying a laydown of an overpair.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:19 AM

There is no way I would raise TT in EP, especially not behind a limper, at level 1. Cmon. I would for sure check the flop if he was the type to cont bet, otherwise, I would bet it myself, it depends on the player you're facing.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i would push already after his flopbet

[/ QUOTE ]

kingpaddy, does a worse hand call me here?
Old 02-08-2006, 11:16 AM

I like the flop lead, but I never bet that turn. Check, if he checks behind C/C river. If he bets turn, push.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:44 AM

Doesn't your line only benefit the opponents that are trailing. I mean, I had AJ-AK, and you check the turn, i'll be more than happy to check behind. And I'm not going to bluff the river since the pot (T285) isn't that big to be worth the risk. And if I was slow playing a set, I would probably check the turn as well, and then value bet the river after you check.