Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-04-2007, 11:02 PM

Default Re: help me settle an argument - jamie gold

sarcasm aside, i think its obvious he's better than the average player, depending on how you choose to define that.
Old 03-04-2007, 11:23 PM

he is an above average player that has the right kind of style for playing against a large field of donks.. against great players his game faulters because his chat and maneuvering does not work. But I would not be surprised at all if he has repeat success in another large, weakish field like the WSOP ME.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:16 AM

He was so confident at the final table and his land hand when he says to villian you don't have a Q do ya was awesome. Talk about playing with ones head..villian says i put you on a draw/Game over..Gold was special in the ME/best ever!!
Old 03-05-2007, 01:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
sarcasm aside, i think its obvious he's better than the average player, depending on how you choose to define that.

[/ QUOTE ]

well said.
Old 03-05-2007, 01:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
who knows if you saw it, but i posted this here a couple of days ago...

Despite all the surrounding distraction, he played variable aggression, tricky, perceptive poker with his heart on his sleeve. He's lets it all hang out. It appears like it's a journey that he is taking with his opponents, not against them. He gets much hate, not enough love.

It's not like the WSOP ME event winner needs defending for capturing the largest field in tourney history, but his brand of lag style was perfect for his cards/his crown. his bravado and ease of being was perfect for playing in the meta game. and, his, "i'm just pulling the wool over your eyes with truth" keeps him centered, locked in. opponents are spun. even his disingenuity is genuine.

j gold ftw. getting hit with the deck helps as much as he helped himself to leverage it.

i mean, not everyone can be as blessed as Robert Varkonyi.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting writing style. Its like a new age sports star that just read "cliches for kids" doing an after-game interview.

Yup, I'm just a dick.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:21 AM

i've played with him and i wasn't impressed. he gives up a lot of information and just doesn't seem to read people very well. he got owned on HSP and i've heard he dropped a lot playing in big NL games at commerce. when i played with him it wasn't even that big of a game and he was probably the third or fourth best player at the table.
Old 03-05-2007, 02:47 AM

how does a low-limit AC hold 'em grinder become a literary expert? have you assumed that my writing style is representative of the personal gripe you have with Jamie?

[ QUOTE ]
he bugs the hell out of me. I feel that he has no class and he comes off as obnoxious. These may not be valid complaints, but thats still the way I feel.

[/ QUOTE ]

he's doesn't play the middle, so like I've said, he'll be loved and he'll be hated. i don't know him personally, so i don't have an opinion either way. what i do know is that i respect his play and style given the circumstances. all through out the tourney, his open mouth style and highly perceptive demeanor created looser calling ranges. commonly disliked, but respected.

now, i do agree with you that he is not upper echelon, he hasn't earned that respect. but for what he did and how he did it: he is a worthy champion. and on the downside, he has none of the negative personality traits of hellmuth, matusow, or ungar. if anything, he's closer to negreanu in demeanor without the slightly-inflated self-confidence that that much success brings. whatever irks you about him is based on a personal gripe.

if your game is low limit hold em in B&M as your post history suggests, well, partner, don't let those nits get to you... imagine the game if you brought that type of spark to it: get paid off, have fun, shake things up, and bring table image to another level. otherwise, to quote Mike McD, "your whole life can become a f*cking grind."
Old 03-05-2007, 02:59 AM

he played like an absolute donk on hsp.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"He seems like an above average player. I find it very hard to believe that a complete donkey could make it through a field of 8,500 in a 10 day poker tournament."

Exactly. If we take 35 hands an hour and he played about 10hrs per day for 7 days that's 2450 hands. No way a bad player, like say a semi-loose passive/aggressive, could run hotter than thousands of others over 2450 hands. It's simply not possible as we can also assume that there were probably hundreds of TAGs in the field that would simple decimate the hypothetical semi-loose passive/aggressive player over this gigantic sample of hands.

[/ QUOTE ]

lol. this is a joke right? how many different starting hands are there? multiply that number by 20. now you are talking statistically significant # of hands. however, i would not trust long-run averages for poker until hand # 20,000. i have had 10k streches where i make 10bb/100 and 10k streches where i lost 2bb/100. in the long run, though, over my past 80k hands i make like 7bb/100. any given 2,000 hands is not meaningful.
Old 03-05-2007, 03:18 AM

Man I love the sarcasm in this thread