Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2007, 10:35 PM

Default Re: Who here finished college in 4 years?

I'm taking 5 years simply because I feel like it. I've enjoyed every minute of my time here at school...don't want to move on, but I'm planning on moving on to grad school, so I guess I'm not ENTIRELY leaving.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I consider myself average in terms of intelligence but i am lazy.

[/ QUOTE ]
Ding. Ding. Ding.

If you worked harder, I'm sure you could have graduated in 4. Also, if you were paying top dollar (out of your own pocket) for school, you'd have worked harder to graduate sooner. I don't presume to know your financial situation, and I understand that college is also for the amazing social scene, but someone is likely paying a lot of money for you to be lazy.

The semester's not half over. If you really wanted to, you could probably still pass that class.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I'm planning on moving on to grad school, so I guess I'm not ENTIRELY leaving.

[/ QUOTE ]
That's what I thought too [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. Unless you're staying at the same school (and you have a bunch of friends in the area), man is it different. If for no other reason, it's different because your peers are a lot nerdier and generally a lot less fun than the people you went to college with. And you feel so sketchy hanging out with the underage undergrads...
Old 10-20-2007, 12:39 AM

Where I went to school, it was basically impossible not to graduate in four years, unless you took time off. If you were doing poorly, the school would ask you to take a leave of absence and come back the next semester. So you would have taken more than four years, but for some of that time you wouldn't have been in school. I would say 95% of my friends graduate in four years, and the other 5% took one semester off (except for one who went on a 2-year Mormon mission).

If you took a semester off, came back, and still did poorly, the school asked you to take a permanent leave of absence. But I don't know anyone who that happened to.
Old 10-20-2007, 12:42 AM

I skipped two grades in public school and went through the 'gifted program'.

Had no motivation to go to university after sitting through 12 years of being taught ridiculously easy [censored] in grade school, took a year off.

Went to University after that. 2 years of Uni, and 2 majors later, I'm on track to graduate in another 4 years.

Know a lot of people who are in roughly the same boat as I am.

Everybody chooses their own path, and all paths are different. There is no set mould as many counsellor/academic/workerbee types would have you believe, and those who try to fit into the accepted standard often end up very unhappy.

You should take it at your own pace and forge your own way, do it however you feel you should. It'll all work out better for you.
Old 10-20-2007, 02:46 AM

Meh. I'm in a fairly intense applied physics program right now and a ton of people in it take a year off after 2nd or 3rd year just because they burn out on math and science. I mean, we all have a passion for it otherwise we wouldn't be in the program, but there's only so much I can take. Seriously considering taking a break after 3rd year and doing something where I won't ever see a line integral.
Old 10-20-2007, 03:28 AM

Queens?
Old 10-20-2007, 03:49 AM

I know plenty of people who graduated in 3 years or less and plenty of people who took five years or more. The most successful guy I know took 7 years to do his undergrad. A lot of people seem to look down on people who don't finish in 4 years. I say [censored] it, college is fun, live it up, take your time, do what you want. Whatever the outcome, don't feel bad about yourself for whatever happens.....just take life as it comes.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:59 AM

Yah I'm gonna do it in three years but mostly because I can't think of what to do with the fourth. Plus it saves a ton of money. I have other friends who could have graduated a semester early, but are finishing the year out.

On the flip side, I know that at my hometown university it can be quite tough to graduate in 4 years simply because a lot of kids can't get into the classes they need for their GURs since too many kids are taking them, etc. State schools/Public Schools suck in terms of bureaucracy and sheer size so a lot of kids are just [censored] out of luck.

I've basically never not gotten into a class I've prereg'd except for a lottery class, but then I was guaranteed a spot next time around.
Old 10-20-2007, 11:12 AM

I graduated in four years, but with over 40 credits more than I needed. Graduating with so many credits actually led to being awarded a second degree rather than just getting a double major. I went to a state school where I had a scholarship that was large enough that I took home a significant amount of money. I don't see any reason why I should have graduated in three years instead of four.

FWIW, I know VERY few people that have been able to graduate in four years or less.