Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Re: 6/12 live-betting into a PF raiser with less than top pair?

Again a good point. But I have this strange fascination with holding nut flush draws, betting them, and raking in huge pots when they hit. =]
Old 07-10-2007, 12:30 PM

A5s is a trash hand? You mean EP at a tight table I hope
Old 07-10-2007, 01:01 PM

count, i'm fine limping this sort of hand in lp after 3 or 4 other limpers but limping first in out of position is asking for trouble, especially for all the times someone comes in behind us with a better ace and then an ace flops.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:08 PM

Am I okay under those circumstances if I play very carefully after the flop? Usually I'm pretty good about realizing that I played the A5s to hit the nut flush, and I play slowly after the flop when I whiff on my flush but find an A.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:25 PM

Better play on the river I think is to check hoping to elicit a bluff from AJ+. If he bets his 88 or 99 there then you lose the same amount as if you bet so no big deal. Your PF limp is a little loose for the game conditions you describe, IMO.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Regarding the limp, this is really the key point. Typically, I go ahead and play these types of hands because live on a weekend night we usually see 5-6 to a flop. That nite the table had more tight passive type players. Maybe 1 PF raise per orbit. With only 4 to a flop, it seems the decision to limp will require a bit more consideration.

[/ QUOTE ]

If the table is so passive that 10% or fewer of hands are getting raised PF, I'm playing A5s from any position, whether the table is averaging 3 people to a flop or 8. Play it for a small pot in the former case and a gigantic pot in the latter case.

Your primary concern with this hand is having to play it out of position against a bigger ace. The good news is, at very passive tables you'll make far more those times you hit your flush (or bully passive opponents out of the pot with the worst hand) than you'll lose those times you call down with dominated one-pair hands (or get bluffed off the best hand by aggressive opponents).

I think I'd even be willing to risk a raise from EP-MP with A5s to get the pot heads-up or 3-handed ... then again, they don't call me King Spew for nothin'. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Mook
Old 07-10-2007, 11:18 PM

Folding this preflop in any game is good.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A5s is a trash hand? You mean EP at a tight table I hope

[/ QUOTE ]

I mean its a trash hand and especially so EP at full table.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Folding this preflop in any game is good.

[/ QUOTE ]
Sorry, but this is categorically untrue. If you are among the best post-flop players at a passive table and you don't routinely enter unraised pots with A5s (and hands like K8s and J9s as well), you are leaving a ton of money on the table. Period.

To the OP: Limp-call PF is good. Flop donk ... given the read you've provided, I like it, assuming you plan to fold if raised and not waste another $30 calling down. Please check the river ... can you think of a hand that's calling a river bet that you beat?

Mook
Old 07-11-2007, 10:11 PM

mook, not sure what games or limits you play but unless there are routinely several limpers i don't want to limp utg or utg2 with a crappy suited ace. folding is not leaving tons of money on the table. folding jack ten suited after six limpers would be a bad play, yes, and limping ace three suited or ace six suited after several limpers is fine also. but limping an easily dominated hand like that first in is not a good play. i would much prefer to come in for a raise, but usually at live tables that won't fold a lot of guys out (unless we're talking a much higher limit). i would say it's something like
fold>>>>>>>>raise>>& gt;>>>>>>>>>>>&gt ;>>>>>>>>>>limp