Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-01-2006, 06:16 PM

Default Re: 66 is an overpair, multiway pot

I probably check that flop and may call a decent size bet.

I don't have a real strong opinion about the turn. On one hand he is almost always going to bet when checked to, sometimes with the flush draw. But it is also hard to proceed on the river when he bets like he did.

What was the main part of ur argument about?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 PM

He thought I should have bet the turn.

My problem with check-calling this flop is that I have almost no information on my opponents, and I have no control over the action. I mean, if the action goes:

SB checks, Hero checks, CO bets $20, Button calls $20, SB folds...

Hero is going to have a VERY hard time, no?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:30 PM

I think worst advice possible seems a little exaggerated. This was my analysis. If villian raises and Hero decides to reraise. There is a good possiblity that villian was merely continuation betting and folds. However, If villian does not fold or reraises to hero's raise, I am giving up on this pot. However in most instances, I am checking the flop and folding to a raise, and was calling solely for set value. I agree that there is absolutely no card I want to see on the turn if I reraise. I would be reraising solely to stop a continuation bet given that my opponent c-bets 90% of the time and I do have top pair. I really don't think that this advice is that terrible. However, I will be interested for a response.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:32 PM

Basically, I am very seldomly reraising. I am rerasing solely because I have a read on my opponent that he c-bets constantly and will fold air. Almost all of the time I am giving up on this pot to raises and given that so many people entered the hand.

I am probably not calling a raise on the flop because as someone stated above, it becomes to difficult to continue calling because absolutely every card hurts you and I don't like making calls solely to fold on the river.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Basically, I am very seldomly reraising. I am rerasing solely because I have a read on my opponent that he c-bets constantly and will fold air. Almost all of the time I am giving up on this pot to raises and given that so many people entered the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Two problems with this line of thought:
1. Reraising bloats the pot with a vulnerable, marginal holding, and you will never be called by a hand you have beat. We allow villain to play perfectly against us.
2. The hands villain is likely to continuation-bet look rather strong on this board, such as AK. He may consider A, K, and 3 to be outs.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree that there is absolutely no card I want to see on the turn if I reraise.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, any non-club 3 looks good.

Dunno about the actual hand. I've bet into and CR when I have top pair.

When you check on the turn and call, though, that makes me salivate if I were the raiser. Ditto, with the check on the river when the flush hits (most flushes would be donking on the river in that case, and you've shown the ability to donk before).

Req
Old 12-01-2006, 06:41 PM

I don't ike your flop lead.

I would c/c or more likely c/f
Old 12-01-2006, 06:47 PM

Two problems with this line of thought:
1. Reraising bloats the pot with a vulnerable, marginal holding, and you will never be called by a hand you have beat. We allow villain to play perfectly against us.
2. The hands villain is likely to continuation-bet look rather strong on this board, such as AK. He may consider A, K, and 3 to be outs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I am being misunderstood. If I am reraising which I would only do given that I think my opponent will fold to a sizeable reraise when he gets no piece of the flop, I am doing so solely to make my opponent fold a continuation bet where he hit air. I realize if he calls I beat nothing and am not putting 1 more dollar into the pot.

Therefore, I am not betting for value, I am betting to take down the pot. Given that I don't accomplish this goal I am done putting money into the pot unless I hit a set on the turn or something. I think there is a good chance you take down this pot to a reraise, it becomes difficult for villian to call with air. If he calls, you were probably beat by raising in to him and you are not stuck wondering whether you should call the turn or river. You can decide how much money you want to stick into the pot on the flop and if this move doesn't work you are done. Villian does not get one more dollar.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:52 PM

Law Player,

so to summerise, are you raising for information? Or maybe to see where you stand?
Old 12-01-2006, 06:53 PM

I like the c/r on the flop, you have no idea where you stand as played.