Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Re: Double Elimination Heads Up Tourney Question

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
T5000 or T3000 if you want to push it faster. 20 minute rounds.

(1) Round 1- 25/50
(2) Round 2- 50/100
(3) Round 3- 75/150
(4) Round 4- 100/200
(5) Round 5- 200/400
(6) Round 6- 300/600
(7) Round 7- 500/1000
(8) Round 8- 1000/2000

[/ QUOTE ]

This is good but I think you'd find the matches lasting at least 1.5 hours if not closer to two.

[/ QUOTE ]

I thought that was the goal for OP.

[/ QUOTE ]

I interpreted him to say he wanted the whole thing to last close to what his regular tourney's do. If you have 6-8 rounds each lasting 1.5-2 hours you'll be playing for at least 9 hours and possibly 16. But even at 1 hour rounds it'll still last several hours longer than their usual 4-5
Old 06-23-2007, 05:40 AM

The replies here so far have been excellent and have given me some great ideas.

I'm going to try running a few real-time simulations in Poker Academy using the suggested structures and then make some adjustments based on the results. While I realize that much of what happens is going to be based on the cards dealt in the actual games and how the players chose to act but starting with a good structure is my primary goal.

Our usual game always includes food and drink so when people get knocked out they typically stick around for a while, eat and sometimes a cash game starts up once the tournament gets down to a final table. I don't think we'll run into too much of a problem with waiting between matches as things progress.

Again, thanks for the suggestions and the detailed posts.
Old 06-23-2007, 10:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I interpreted him to say he wanted the whole thing to last close to what his regular tourney's do. If you have 6-8 rounds each lasting 1.5-2 hours you'll be playing for at least 9 hours and possibly 16. But even at 1 hour rounds it'll still last several hours longer than their usual 4-5

[/ QUOTE ]

That might be a good interpretation. But you're right, there's no way to have it run 4-5 hours without making it a pushfest from the getgo.

I had to run mine over several days (spread out over several months, due to difficulties getting the players back in on the same night- they come from a pretty broad geographical base)... and this was 11 players, round robin for 3-4 wins at the first level, double elimination at the middle level (and some playoff matches to settle ties).

OP, if you're looking to do this in one evening, it will have to be single-elimination and you're going to have to pushfest the blinds to make sure it only lasts 40 min per match.