Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-2007, 02:08 PM

Default Re: New England Patriots vs. New York Jets thread

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jets win, you give me your avatar of your choice to use until the Jets are eliminated from the playoffs.

Pats win, I give you the avatar of my choice to use until the Pats are eliminated from the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the Jets cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

no spread, you said "I predicted a W, that's pretty much all that matters. "
Old 01-05-2007, 02:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Jets win, you give me your avatar of your choice to use until the Jets are eliminated from the playoffs.

Pats win, I give you the avatar of my choice to use until the Pats are eliminated from the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the Jets cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's all that matters from a fan's point of view, but in this scenario, I'm a bettor, and I wouldn't mind getting some points.

How bout this: no points, but if the Pats win, I'll use avatar of choice til Pats are done. Jets win, you use avatar of choice until the draft.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What if the Jets cover?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, that's all that matters from a fan's point of view, but in this scenario, I'm a bettor, and I wouldn't mind getting some points.

How bout this: no points, but if the Pats win, I'll use avatar of choice til Pats are done. Jets win, you use avatar of choice until the draft.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is only reasonable if you use the Pats avatar until their next loss and not just until the end of the playoffs.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is only reasonable if you use the Pats avatar until their next loss and not just until the end of the playoffs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Until the Pats next loss post hypothetical victory over jets? I think this is what we're saying.

Pats win, I use avatar until the patriots are eliminated from post-season, or one week post Patriot super bowl victory. Hypothetically.

Jets win its my avatar of choice until the NFL draft.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:27 PM

When I got my custom title, the bet required the avatar to stay until the winning team lost or until to the pro bowl if they won the superbowl. I still can't believe that I had that damn thing until the probowl.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:32 PM

meh, I think haggling over the terms of an avatar bet is kind of lame. it's my deal or no deal (nothing personal [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img])
Old 01-05-2007, 02:36 PM

You deal makes no sense, the Pats are the favorites. Him thinking the Jets are going to win does not change that.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You deal makes no sense, the Pats are the favorites. Him thinking the Jets are going to win does not change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

I [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] this thread. I'm going to the gym and to play cards, won't check this for about 15 hours, come up with something.
Old 01-05-2007, 03:10 PM

Here is my quick breakdown/synopsis:

Jets O versus Pats D

Jets had a lot of success running the ball in the second game that I don't expect to be repeated, hammering out 26/110 but with a long of only 12. They were consistently able to pick up 3-5 yards and, as KB4Z alludes, a lot of this can be attributed to the depleted NE line. Warren is a monster against the run (84 tackles in 15 games is ridiculous for a 3-4 end) and was missing while Seymour was basically playing with one arm. I am pretty high on Pennington but their whole approach depends on getting into 3rd and manageable situations. He's not a guy who is going to succeed with a lot of 3rd and longs, nor is he a guy that is going to shorten drives by picking up yards in big chunks. If the Pats D-line can stand up the Jets O-line a bit more and force a lot of 2nd and 9, 3rd and 8 type of situations, its going to be a long day. I think Mangini knows this, however, and I would expect him to come out spreading the field a lot, getting the Patriots out of their base defense, using the same hurry-up that has been pretty effective all year, and basically trying to utilize Pennington's intelligence and short accuracy to pick on some of the weaker Pats dime and nickle d-backs. Basically, my best guess is that the Jets will try to pass to set up the run against the nickle.

Pats O vs Jets D

This one kind of baffles me. The Pats have probably been most effective this year when they spread the field and use quick drops, basically letting their best player dictate events. On the other hand, the Jets run D is pretty atrocious and the Pats had a lot of success, especially with Dillon, just hitting the Jets in the mouth. One element that the Jets seem to lack is a top-end speed rusher on the outside, which has been a real achilles heel for the Pats this year on several occasions as Matt Light has been exposed (incidentally, this really concerns me against the Chargers or Ravens if the Pats reach the next round). Ultimately, I think coaching is going to be pretty huge in this matchup. This is Mangini's strength and Pat's O-Coordinator Josh McDaniels has been very up-and-down this season. In particular, he's shown a worrying inability to make adjustments in some games and a bit of stubborness, which I hope don't come back to kill the Pats on Sunday.

Special Teams

Both teams have pretty strong special teams. But I think any Pats fan out there who claims he doesn't still have concerns about Gostkowski is lying. In retrospect, I think BB handled the situation very well this year in being somewhat conservative in his use of Gostkowski after he flubbed a few early. And with some shorter kicks he ended up making a respectable 20-26, including a few long ones. On the other hand, there's something about experiencing a lot of siutations in which your team is going for it on 4th and 6 from the 30 yard line that makes your stomach a little queezy come playoff time...

What It All Adds up To

Pats 24 - Jets 16
Old 01-05-2007, 06:44 PM

Guess who wrote this in today's column?

PATRIOTS (-8.5) over Jets
It's been fun to see the Jets fans come out of a decade-long hibernation/depression to unleash taunting "you're going down!" e-mails and phone calls to Patriots fans like myself. You guys are cute. It's like having a puppy hump your leg or something. Anyway, here's the lingering question: How does a team with no home-field advantage, no deep threats, a banged-up secondary and one of the worst special teams units in football give 8.5 points to a team that played them tough twice? It makes no sense, right?

Here's the answer: The Pats tipped their hands in a meaningless Tennessee game last week. There's been a nagging sense since the curious Colts defeat that they were better than they were letting on, that they were playing possum to an extent, blessed with an easy schedule that guaranteed them the 4-seed four months ago. When the Titans got them riled up with a couple of chippy plays, the ticked-off Pats switched gears, kept their starters in, opened up both barrels and blew them off the field. It was an awesome performance. For the first time all season, they looked like the physical, nasty, ball-breaking, smashmouth team that won 21 straight and 31 of 33 during the '03 and '04 seasons. I can't imagine that team losing at home, in January, in a do-or-die game, to an opponent that can't run the ball or stop the run. It's not happening.

The Pick: New England 31, New York 10

(Bill "The Sports Guy" Simmons, of course.)