Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 10:30 AM

Default Re: Greatest sports moment of your entire life?

The state wrestling championship my senior year, I was the #2 seed and the #1 had basicly pwned me my entire wrestling career. Going into the finals my record was 0-7 lifetime against this guy. Also he went to my school's biggest and most hated rival (as recounted on the most recent season of Two-a-days) and we were 1-2 in the points standings for the team championship.

It was tied 1-1 at the end of regulation. I won the toss and was took the bottom position (first one to score wins) for overtime. I hit a beautiful granby roll to win. Proudest moment of my life to date.

Our big guys sucked and we ended up losing the team championship by 1 point. Brutal
Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 AM

Brag:

Wasn't as cool as some of these, but a highlight of my athletic career.

Played varsity football as a senior for my school. I was always very athletic, but not a very big guy, so I decided to play as a junior again on the jv team instead of just not playing that year. I didn't play much as a freshman, got a little bit more playing time as a sophomore but not a lot, and then I almost didn't play as a junior, until I decided to run with the team during their 2-a-days, and realized I still wanted to play. Part of the problem also was that I played in the marching band, so during my senior year, I would have to leave the field before half time, run into the concession stand, change quickly into my band uniform and run back out onto the field just in time to play halftime. Repeat the process to get back into football uniform after halftime.

Fast forward to senior year. I became a starter at defensive back before the first game (beat: showed up late getting to the bus before the first game and got benched [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) Anyways, 3rd game of the year, we needed someone to play safety and they put me back there. First half and I'm tearing it up (and mind you, my team's defense was so horid that I was the 2nd leading tackler that year) making tackles left and right, getting credit for every other tackle. With about 4 minutes left in the half, we had just scored on a 80 yard touchdown run. They had ran the ensuing kickoff for a touchdown in return and then we did the same back to them(yeah, 3 touchdowns in about 50 seconds). At this point, I look up and we have about 2 minutes left in the half. We kicked off again and I made the tackle this time after he returned it to midfield. I ran to the sideline to the defensive coach and tell him that I needed to go get ready for halftime. He shouts at me "you can't go, get back onto the field" pushing me back. First play is a pass from their backup QB to their tight end on a 15 yards TE dump(starter pulled a hammie after a running play where he was 30 yards past the defense and got caught after he pulled up lame). The pass was just over his head and I lept up in up and to my left and managed to intercept it at my highest point. I took off running, making it down to the 10 yard line where I got tackled. I was so tired from the kickoff and the interception that I just laid there a sec while the team mobbed me. One of the lineman actually picked me up off of the ground and when I got to the sideline the coach lifted me up in the air.

First thing I said to him was "coach, I have to go" and he says back to me "I knew you could do it, get the hell out of here". I take off my helmet and hurry my ass through the crowd to the concession stand. As I'm trying to make my way through there, everyone that I pass is shouting congratulations at me and patting me on the back. I quickly change into my band uniform and run back to the other side of the field right before we started to play. Mind you, I was too excited to even play during halftime show. I just sat there with my instrument pretending to play.

Beat: When I got to the other sideline just before we started marching, I looked at my girlfriend and said "omfg, did you see what I did". She looked at me and said "no, what happened". /sigh

Brag: My father recorded the game, so I was able to see the crowd's reaction to what happened. Was nice, cause my team stunk so bad this was one of the few bright moments of the year. We were so great on offense and so horrible on defense that the end of that game we set a league record for most points scored by two teams in a single game that night.. and then we broke that record later in the year (when we were losing 33 - 6 at halftime of a game and won 58 - 39)

Beat: After my interception and return down to the 10 yard line, my team managed to fumble the ball and they scored again before halftime. We eventually lost that game in overtime [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 10:39 AM

Is rafting a sport?

1st season on the Salmon River. It's mid-spring and the water is running near flood stage. Come to a rapid called Ruby. It's a wave train rapid, which means it's wave after wave after wave for about 250 yards. The waves start medium, get huge, then taper off. Max height is probably 15 feet (14ft raft).

First run down Ruby, me and two other guides in the boat punching waves, which means to throw their bodies to the wave side of the boat to use the weight as leverage. I read the line, and about 100 feet into it I turn to face a right-side wave, get high-sided on the left and spun. Generally you use the momentum of the spin and face back forward, but I knew I couldn't make the spin fast enough to avoid being flipped by the next wave in the train, so I stopped the spin and faced the wave backward. We went up over the top of the largest waves in the train in reverse with no front weight.

Nobody swam that time.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing golf at my local course. I hit a titanic drive on a par 5. I go for the green in two, the ball is heading STRAIGHT for the hole, but then just disappears. It looks like it went over the green. We go looking for it, can't find it. Someone on the green looks in the hole and there it is. I holed it out straight from the air. Double Eagle....rarest of the golf shots.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was once on the green when someone hit into me from a good bit away. I picked his ball up and put in the cup. You?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this, rather than hitting the ball back at him or tossing it into the woods/lake?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't explain why I did it, it was very spur of the moment. But hearing him shriek in joy was a fiendishly enjoyable experience.

Basketball: I hit a game tying bucket off a offensive rebound in my 8th grade regional title game at the buzzer. We won in OT. I only played basketball my frosh year in HS.

Baseball and football are harder.

Baseball: probably going to play a double header my Junior year. I was in a slump and the team we were playing had won 21 straight. I went 6/8 in the DH with 3 homers and 13 RBI, we swept.

Football: probably breaking a 59 yard run against the #2 ranked team in the state my senior year. We were the first to beat them.

Golf: ACE ON A PAR-4, FTW.
Old 03-28-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Playing golf at my local course. I hit a titanic drive on a par 5. I go for the green in two, the ball is heading STRAIGHT for the hole, but then just disappears. It looks like it went over the green. We go looking for it, can't find it. Someone on the green looks in the hole and there it is. I holed it out straight from the air. Double Eagle....rarest of the golf shots.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was once on the green when someone hit into me from a good bit away. I picked his ball up and put in the cup. You?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you do this, rather than hitting the ball back at him or tossing it into the woods/lake?

[/ QUOTE ]
I can't explain why I did it, it was very spur of the moment. But hearing him shriek in joy was a fiendishly enjoyable experience.

[/ QUOTE ]

I had a guy hit to 2 feet on a par 5 on this 2nd shot while I was putting. Very nice shot, but he was close enough to know he could make the green (thus should have waited). I waved at him, ala "nice shot" then proceeded to mar his line.

To this day I feel real [censored] about it. He made probably the shot of his life. I hope he made the put...
Old 03-28-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not me...green was empty and ball flew in.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:05 AM

High shcool, I was goalie for hockey team. I had a streak of 11 scoreless periods(15 min), and scored a goal in that stretch. I'm told still a record to this day(12 years now) and I'm the only goalie ever to score a goal in that league.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:07 AM

how does a goalie score exactly?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
how does a goalie score exactly?

[/ QUOTE ]
they pull their goalie