Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-2007, 08:35 PM

Default Re: Help a Newbie with some Hands....

Yeah... I would push hand4 if our stack was a greater threat to the stacks of the limpers. But not here.
Old 03-18-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: Help a Newbie with some Hands....

Thanks for all the great replies!

Here are some results, if you want them:

Hand 1 (aces): I pushed, he called with T8 two pair. I don't remember if it was suited. He raised with it preflop. I'm glad to know my call/cr/push plan wasn't a bad play. The queen scared the pants out of me, too, as I also had QQ as one of his hands. Problem is, I can't see any bet I can make that won't commit me to the pot, and I certainly can't check.

Hand 2 (AJo): I pushed with my meager stack, he called with an underpair, giving me sixteen outs, one of which I hit. I just don't have good results playing AJo OOP, so I may start folding this more often preflop.

Hand 3 (AQs): My checks weren't some elaborate trap, they were fear. The guy had beat me before and had seemed to go to showdown only with strong hands, which fit with his timid preflop play. By just calling the flop, I could only put him on AJ (two pair). Perhaps that was overactive imagination, but it's what he had.

Hand 4 (K8s shortstack): The UTG limp worried me, too. I pushed, he called with KK. The EP limp or minraise has hurt me more times than not lately, so I'm going to read it as a reliable tell at my level and act accordingly.

Again, thanks for all the feedback on how I'm playing these. Nice to know I'm mostly doing right by things, and most of you would've had the same results I did with these hands. I'm having a great time with these tournaments, tho' it's a little frustrating not having cashed again. But that's why I'm doing this, to feel it out and try out moves and get used to various situations and (hopefully) improve. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]