Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Video Games
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-14-2007, 11:32 PM

Default Re: ps3 appreciation

there was a much bigger chance that nintendo would go bankrupt (when GC was their big thing), but thankfully the Wii has helped this. its a good thing nintendo had the market cornered with the gameboys for a long time.

sony is much too big of a company to bow out of video games just because the PS3 isnt that hot right now, same with Microsoft if they do the samething.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a much bigger chance that nintendo would go bankrupt (when GC was their big thing)

[/ QUOTE ]

reference please
Old 04-14-2007, 11:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a much bigger chance that nintendo would go bankrupt (when GC was their big thing), but thankfully the Wii has helped this. its a good thing nintendo had the market cornered with the gameboys for a long time.

sony is much too big of a company to bow out of video games just because the PS3 isnt that hot right now, same with Microsoft if they do the samething.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well now Nintendo basically prints money with DS and Wii success and MS is of course MS. Sony however is in deep financial trouble and i believe the PS brand is the only one running a profit in its electronic division right now. So if anyone is in trouble it is Sony.
Old 04-14-2007, 11:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
there was a much bigger chance that nintendo would go bankrupt (when GC was their big thing)

[/ QUOTE ]

reference please

[/ QUOTE ]

i will try to find the original articles i read (yrs ago) but for now to tide you over

Around that time, due to sagging sales, Nintendo had to cut GameCube production in order to sell off surpluses and issue a profit warning.[11] Since then, sales have rebounded slightly due to a price drop to $99 USD and the release of the The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition bundle, which has spurred sales. Since this period, GameCube sales have continued to be steady, particularly in Japan, but the GameCube is still in third place in worldwide sales.

Despite the fact that the GameCube is not matching the sales and market share of earlier Nintendo consoles (aside from the Virtual Boy), this has been offset by the growing size of the video game console market which has allowed Nintendo to carve out a loyal following even as its market share decreased. Its low price compared to the PS2 and Xbox is keeping it competitive. Nintendo has stated that it would "only exit the software business at the same time [it] would exit the hardware business"; Nintendo signaled that it would not discontinue its console business to focus on developing games like Sega had done after discontinuing the Dreamcast.

(from wikipedia)
Old 04-15-2007, 12:00 AM

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/annual_report.jsp

2002: 6.5 billion in cash
2003: 6.2 billion in cash
2004: 6.8 billion in cash
2005: 7.4 billion in cash
2006: 5.2 billion in cash

according to the 2006 report, 2.3b was invested so i think that explains the reduction
Old 04-15-2007, 12:06 AM

notice the share price during the gamecube yrs.

http://finance.yahoo.com/charts#chart4:s...ource=undefined

article about this in the past http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/2291391.stm
Old 04-15-2007, 12:12 AM

(still trying to find article, but google sucks and only wants to talk about how the wii saved nintendo)

Gamecube was nintendos dark era, and most likely if the Wii was a flop it would go out much like sega.
Old 04-15-2007, 12:28 AM

i don't see how reduced profit estimates and stock drops put a company with 3000 employees and 6+ billion dollars at risk of becoming insolvent. that figure doesn't count their intellectual property, their physical assets, etc:

"Cash and cash equivalents" include cash on hand, deposit which can be withdrawn on demand, time deposit with an original maturity of three months or less and certain investments. Investments are defined as those that are easily accessible, with little risk of fluctuation in value and the maturity date is within three months of the acquisition date.

the NTDOY pink sheet looks like it sunk the lowest in 2003, a year where they made 561M in profit. have they booked an unprofitable year in the last 2 decades?
Old 04-15-2007, 12:36 AM

Think about it like this why would Nintendo have to say

"only exit the software business at the same time [it] would exit the hardware business"; Nintendo signaled that it would not discontinue its console business to focus on developing games like Sega had done after discontinuing the Dreamcast.

unless there was strong speculation/makes sense?
Old 04-15-2007, 01:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I like and play my PS3 thats all i know.

[/ QUOTE ]