Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2007, 07:05 AM

Default Re: Playing Axs in Early Position, NLH

Thanks for posting this sandman.

I've been wondering if limping with Ax in early pos is a good idea too. In NLHETP, their strategy also recommends limping with AQ in early position (first four seats @ 10 table), which I'm not a huge fan of.

I think one thing we might want to consider is looking at limping with Axs in the context of their entire strategy. They recommend limping with AA, KK, QQ, AK about 20% of the time in early position as well, which I guess, prevents people from reraising your Axs and SC limps with nothing.

Any thoughts on this?

Even with QQ, I'm kinda iffy on limping that. What do you do if raised? Just call? I'm thinking you should raise, but then, the only hands that will reraise you are AA/KK based on your limp reraise. I think that this strategy is better suited to deeper stacks than the 100BB buy-in online. I think they also mention that this is a deep stack preflop strategy.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:35 AM

SH: raise or fold depending on table / your image

FR: fold
Old 06-04-2007, 01:02 PM

This should be easy from limit holdem; one makes looser limps if one doesn't expect a raise, and one looks to the looseness of the game too, preflop and after. It's just the amount of a small blind compared to limit holdem, though there are plenty more people still behind but one rates to get paid for more if one hits good, or one could try to make a play preflop or after.

Because the limp is so cheap there are two kinds of players in this world; those who limp more and those who limp less (who fold), though some prefer open-raising and raising.

The standards in S&Mi book are interesting, nicely has it been picked from many books and been put together (this Axs has been talked much against in tournaments but is now in cash game strategy somewhere around suited connectors), but it would help to know the limit holdem reasonings too, and what comes to open-raising (from middle position and later) there are good reasons for that too; stealing the blinds, getting action.

Here's a video about how one just might play AXs in early position according to Ivey: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvLcv5Vt4LA