Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 06:20 PM

Default Re: Crappy Ban Theater

jim, how do you mod a high traffic forum and have no idea that 'dick' isn't a censored word?

stop defending this ban, it is terrible and if i had made it everyone in this forum would be losing their [censored] over it.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jim, how do you mod a high traffic forum and have no idea that 'dick' isn't a censored word?

[/ QUOTE ]

Please read the post directly above yours. It usually helps to read the whole thread prior to posting a response. So - you think that location is an appropriate location?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 07:29 PM

i would never use that as my loc, but 2p2 does not prohibit it and banning someone for using it is totally out of line. i don't see how a list of guys named Dick changes that.

aside from that, while there is no set policy that i am aware of, the precedent on this issue has pretty much always been to ask a user to change offending profile info, or change it yourself, not ban them.

it's a terrible ban, period.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

aside from that, while there is no set policy that i am aware of, the precedent on this issue has pretty much always been to ask a user to change offending profile info, or change it yourself, not ban them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly. This is the issue here, not the appropriateness of the word "dick."
Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM

My point was that 2+2 could not prohibit that word. To do so would not allow posters to type in this common name. I changed his location and was going to suspend him for one minute to ensure he received the note. Upon reading his notes and history of profanity I decided to suspend him for 24 hours. I thought a 24 hour suspension was very lenient.

In my more than 28 months modding I have suspended less than five users. Some of the 'suspension happy mods' are making out like I am the big offender of 'the banstick'. I said I was sorry if this suspension was inappropriate but I really do not think it was at all inappropriate.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 10-21-2007, 08:02 PM

I thought normally the first step was warnings, then suspensions leading to banning. Is there a need to revert back to warnings after a poster has already been suspended multiple times for the same offense (profanity)?

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
Old 10-21-2007, 08:08 PM

there is need for a warning when the person you are banning didn't even break a rule, and the precedent for actions even in the case of broken rules in that situation is not immediate banning.

you clearly have no clue how this issue has been handled in the past and you are totally unwilling to admit that you made an obvious mistake.
Old 10-21-2007, 08:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

there is need for a warning when the person you are banning didn't even break a rule, and the precedent for actions even in the case of broken rules in that situation is not immediate banning.

you clearly have no clue how this issue has been handled in the past and you are totally unwilling to admit that you made an obvious mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I did make a mistake.............. is it really that obvious? You are right in I have no clue how this has been handled in the past. I admit I am ignorant regarding those cases. Where is the censored list? It would be great if it could be included in one of the stickies. <IF> a woman's genitals are censored than by deductive reasoning I assume a man's genitals are also censored. I think this was a trolls attempt at circumventing the profanity filter after he has been suspended multiple times for that same offense.

Thank you,

Jim Kuhn
Catfish4u
Old 10-22-2007, 12:50 AM

there is no way to circumvent the profanity filter in a location, because to do so you have to use UBB code, and that is disabled in that field.

if someone is able to type something into their loc, it isn't censored.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not that I care one way or the other but your avatar is birds pooping.

[/ QUOTE ]