Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Sports Betting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2006, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Worst BEAT EVER!!!!!!!!!! SA game (LC)

I had plays on NJ and the under. Watching that last stretch was a surreal experience.

Definitely a brutal beat, but going into the 4th, the o/u could have gone either way (especially considering overtime was a possibility). In the 5 minuites before that final 39 seconds, I think there were only 10 points scored. And while usually not that bad, those final minute 'shoot a quick 3, foul, repeat' scenarios often produce a crazy number of points. Like someone else said, you just have to write it off and move on.

Just imagine if you had u186.5- Padgett fouls with 2 seconds left, his team down by 4...
Old 01-11-2006, 07:28 PM

Another example of why gambling is a hard way to make an easy living.
Old 01-11-2006, 09:46 PM

My best "double-reverse-beat-with-a-remix"

Had to be around '94-'96, it's foggy but if you look back it's documented......USC giving like 8 or 9. I have them pretty big alone and in an action reverse.

It goes to OT and I am a losah.

USC scores a TD. Great.

USC picks off pass and returns it for a TD to win by 12.

Hello to $500.

A few years later, in a totally unrelated conversation, someone bets me $100 that it is not possible for that to happen. Remix! Lets go to the tape......
Old 01-11-2006, 11:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
USC picks off pass and returns it for a TD to win by 12

[/ QUOTE ]

I was on the other end of this [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 11:50 PM

dude that's a friggin O outer that hit, that's fuggin bad. But I guess you can be happy in the sense that some other guy in the world put like 25k on the under so don't feel so bad about the $600. But really that's like 1140 swing?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:02 AM

Anyone remember that Jets - Dolphins game a few years ago. When Miami totally dominated first half, jets got like one first down in the first half, then in 2nd half jets pulled off the biggest comeback in the history of the jets, while Miami lost the biggest lead in the history of Miami. I had Miami.
Old 01-12-2006, 04:01 PM

There was also a Monday Night Football game a few years back (Pitt/Jax I want to say) where one team was going for a garbage FG near the very end and it was blocked and returned for a touchdown.

I forget the specifics, but I won because of that play and I remember thinking "Man, that would be SO wrong if i was just on the other side of that."
Old 01-12-2006, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Its got to rate up there pretty high for worst beat for many people. How often do you have 21pts pad with 39 seconds left and not think for sure you have the game won.
Even so got to pretend you didn't watch the game. It goes both ways in time, next time that happens maybe you will have the over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone else remember when Marvin O'Connor scored 18 points in the final 59 seconds against La Salle a few years ago right before Joe's tourney run? You can win a lot of trivia contests with that one.
http://www.philly.com/mld/philly/spo...s/13440096.htm

Naj
Old 01-12-2006, 05:47 PM

I remember reading about this, here are the details:

Jaguars 30, Steelers 21 (9-22-97)

"Simmons blocked a Norm Johnson field goal attempt on the final play of the game, and Hudson picked up the ball and returned it 58 yards for a touchdown that was nothing more than a "victory lap." As he ran down the Steelers sideline, coach Bill Cowher made a mock motion as though he was going to tackle Hudson."

So the score was 23-21 JAX and PIT lined up for the game winning try with less than 5 seconds left. The line in this game was JAX -4. So ANYONE who bet on this game will probably remember it for life. But one guy for sure... I read this article about the dangers of sports betting, and here is what happened:

You can buy contracts on the spread that pay $100 if they hit, and their price changes throughout a game. So once PIT had +4 locked up with seconds to go, some schmuck bought 20 contracts at $99 per. Total cost = $1980. Expected win = $20. Amazing ending happens and JAX wins by 9 and schmuck is out 2k. WOW.

-Mack