[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 04:02 PM

Default Re: March madness pools forbidden

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, this is March...madness.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 03-05-2007, 04:33 PM

I'm not exactly sure how different this is from a bunch of 2+2'ers arranging to get together on the internet to play poker.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not exactly sure how different this is from a bunch of 2+2'ers arranging to get together on the internet to play poker.

[/ QUOTE ]
This reminds me of a bizarre thing that happened to me back in '98.

I was in an ESPN.com fantasy baseball league, NL only, and it happened that pretty much every single one of my players was having a career year. I completely dominating my league - it was one of those where you get points in each category and the sum of them determines your place. It was a "10X10" league and for awhile I was tops in nine of the ten categories and had eight points in the other.

So anyway, right about this time a congressman in AZ - I think it WAS Jon Kyl but can't remember for sure - was trying to ram through a bill to make fantasy sports illegal. The local rag wanted to do a story on it and someone down there did some searching and saw I was #2 in the world at the time on the espn site.

So they get hold of me and ask for my opinion on the matter and if they can take some pictures. A cute photographer chick comes over - this is when my father was living with me. He was a total slob, I wouldn't be surprised if his junk was hanging out of his worn-out short shorts when he told the chick to come in because he was too lazy to get off the couch and answer the door. Anyway, she takes like 40 pictures. No joke, she had to set up this elaborate lighting getup and take all these pictures of me in various poses around my computer with the espn.com site on my screen all to just print one.

So a couple of days later the article quoting me was on the front page! It continued inside and there I was, big old picture of tup leaning over his monitor, leering at the camera. Small problem though: the caption was the same as one on page 1, which went something like "Kevin James Clark consults with his attorney at the outset of his rape trial". This was while I was still in the grocery business, and I noticed this while the store manager was looking over my shoulder. He proceeded to call me "Kevin James Clark" on the intercom until I quit a few months later.

All the knuckleheads at the store said I should sue for defamation of character. I was like yeah right, like ten people read this rag (truth be told, it was the Scottsdale paper and somehow it had decent circulation...I used to deliver it as a kid and it sucked big time). Also, the paper noticed this and called me at work and asked me if they'd like me to print a retraction the next day. I was like no biggie, don't worry about it, but they did it anyway.

Cliff's Notes: tup is dominating a fantasy league, paper interviews tup about pending legislation, takes pictures of tup, puts pics in paper with caption of rapist instead of tup.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Cliff's Notes: tup is dominating a fantasy league, paper interviews tup about pending legislation, takes pictures of tup, puts pics in paper with caption of rapist instead of tup.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure, due to DoubleJeopardy laws, you deserve one 'Get Out Of RapeTrial Free' card.
Old 03-05-2007, 05:54 PM

Kevin - you probably should have been more pissed off at your pic appearing in the paper with a 'rapist' caption on it.
I'm with the knuckleheads who think it definitely could have been deserving of a lawsuit.

Good for you for being cool enough to blow it off.
Most people would be somewhat bothered by this more than you appeared to be.

Errors are one thing. But one that ends up with the word 'rapist' right next to your pic is on a different level.

And this reminds me of an episode of Becker in which some guy who hated him from back in high-school is the editor of some medical-publication in which Becker is going to have an article published.
so the editor puts a pic of some ugly fat guy as the author 'John Becker'.
Becker is ticked and all his old friends who he had lost touch with think he's really let himself go.
He wants a retraction and eventually figures out that the errors was done intentionally by some guy he screwed 20 yrs ago by not letting him borrow a pencil or something.

So the editor acts like he's got it out of his system and is going to correct it for him.
And in the next issue he puts in the right photo but lists his name as 'John Pecker'.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:29 PM

Bob,

It was an honest mistake and the caption didn't make sense - it was just a picture of me and my computer, whereas the caption implied there were two people. Plus nobody I know ever commented on seeing the article OR the caption, and nobody was repulsed at seeing me in public (no moreso than usual anyway).

Not only do I think a lawsuit would have been laughed at, the people who were telling me to do so were just looking at it for a chance at free money. None seemed to actually believe I had been defamed in some way.

Kevin
Old 03-05-2007, 07:29 PM

All,

One thing to keep in mind is that teh DOJ has consistently gone after sports wagering instead of poker.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Also, college sports betting is easier to prove as a violation of UIGEA because it's specifically outlawed in the US Code.
Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 PM

Kev,

Perhaps if you would have spent a little more time with your lawyer and a little less with your face buried on rotoworld, you would not have been convicted.

Best,

Joe Arpaio