Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 02:01 PM

Default Re: almost never \" Limp in\" is what I hear many Pros and books say

Here are some of my points on limping:

1. "Never limp" is a policy that really applies to Limit Holdem. Sklansky has explained that the chance of stealing the blinds by raising dictates that if you have a hand you are willing to play, then you might as well raise (that's open raise by the way).

2. At many tables, limping in after other limpers can be a good strategy given the pot odds.

3. When the blinds are a factor, limping can get expensive because it is often wrong to call a raise from behind you when you are out of position.

4. Raising gives you control of the hand and thus you have some credibility (i.e. better fold equity) when you bet the flop.

5. Limping usually indicates a medium hand so better players will have reliable information to bet you off the pot. This can be alleviated somewhat if you show you can limp with AA. By mixing up your limping and raising hands, you can become less readable. As well, a limp and then a reraise will give your future limps more respect.

6. In an aggressive game, limping will cost you a little each hand but can really add up over the long run.
Old 03-17-2007, 02:10 PM

Limping as far as LHE goes,for me it can depend on teh table, If there have not been that many PF raisee at all, I am a lot more inclined to limp more with spec hands.
Old 03-17-2007, 03:52 PM

I think it refers more-so to open limping instead of just limping in general.

b
Old 03-17-2007, 11:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Here are some of my points on limping:

1. "Never limp" is a policy that really applies to Limit Holdem. Sklansky has explained that the chance of stealing the blinds by raising dictates that if you have a hand you are willing to play, then you might as well raise (that's open raise by the way).

2. At many tables, limping in after other limpers can be a good strategy given the pot odds.

3. When the blinds are a factor, limping can get expensive because it is often wrong to call a raise from behind you when you are out of position.

4. Raising gives you control of the hand and thus you have some credibility (i.e. better fold equity) when you bet the flop.

5. Limping usually indicates a medium hand so better players will have reliable information to bet you off the pot. This can be alleviated somewhat if you show you can limp with AA. By mixing up your limping and raising hands, you can become less readable. As well, a limp and then a reraise will give your future limps more respect.

6. In an aggressive game, limping will cost you a little each hand but can really add up over the long run.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree w/ you. For me, I like to limp in w/ hands that can be monsters. (small pocket pairs, suited connectors) The best is when someone thinking he's a pro raises $20 on the button when everyone folds to him and wins a $3 pot w/ 4-9o. It's even funnier when they show the bluff and then wonder why they just got stacked for $600 20 mins. later. Let someone steal my $2 blind, I don't care. I'm after your $600 stack.
Old 03-18-2007, 05:07 AM

How about you raise instead of open-limping everytime, and even people won't fold even to 2-3 barrels(which happens a lot). It makes you to play less hands. Shouldnt be good idea to open-limp the other hands?
Old 03-18-2007, 03:39 PM

You generally want to at least put pressure on the blinds to fold. If you can't do this, fold.

The SB/BB can play just about any two cards and could hit 2 pair + and it's tough to read.

You have AJo and limp from LP, blinds call. If flop comes J73 rainbow you have tptk and think your good. The BB could have J7...
Old 03-18-2007, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You generally want to at least put pressure on the blinds to fold. If you can't do this, fold.

The SB/BB can play just about any two cards and could hit 2 pair + and it's tough to read.

You have AJo and limp from LP, blinds call. If flop comes J73 rainbow you have tptk and think your good. The BB could have J7...

[/ QUOTE ]

What!? Am I the only one that thinks this is insane? If the blinds are $1-$2, and both have $1,000 stacks, and you get stacked w/ that hand, you shouldn't be playing poker. Let's say I limp for $2 and SB calls. There's $6 in the pot. So let's say the BB bets $10 and you raise to $50. If he re-raises or calls, you HAVE to know you are behind.
Old 03-20-2007, 01:58 AM

"Never" rules in poker are pretty stupid, it always depends on the situations. I limp in sometimes, depends on my position and who I am playing against.
Old 03-20-2007, 07:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What!? Am I the only one that thinks this is insane? If the blinds are $1-$2, and both have $1,000 stacks, and you get stacked w/ that hand, you shouldn't be playing poker. Let's say I limp for $2 and SB calls. There's $6 in the pot. So let's say the BB bets $10 and you raise to $50. If he re-raises or calls, you HAVE to know you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does he say anything about getting stacked?

His point was that by raising he is protecting his relatively good hand against crap that the blind could call with if he limps.

Of course in the example given if the villain starts reraising your bets you have to assume you are behind but you will lose money before you realise this. By raising you either force them to fold or gain information from them calling/reraising that will help you on further streets.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where does he say anything about getting stacked?

His point was that by raising he is protecting his relatively good hand against crap that the blind could call with if he limps.

Of course in the example given if the villain starts reraising your bets you have to assume you are behind but you will lose money before you realise this. By raising you either force them to fold or gain information from them calling/reraising that will help you on further streets.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think your comments are more relevent in tournament poker. In a cash game, you want to mix it up.

With the example of AJo, I would probably raise 70% and call 30%. The flop example given is one of many scenarios. If you limp, and an A comes on the flop, your hand may be disguised and you can possibly extract some cash from second pair or especially Ace rag.

The key point here is that in an unraised pot, you don't have good info on villain so you have to have good poker instinct. In other words, limping here with AJo may be +EV for a good post flop player and -EV for a poor player.