Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Re: grinders method

thanks guys, sorry i wasnt clear... i have a bankroll that buys me in; and its no limit....

as for unethical; what can i say; i disagree... online poker has a limited social aspect to it; i couldnt care less whether it winds up my opponents; in facr better if it does

in reply to the 'play optimally' reply; i try to play optimally at all times... admittedly i might miss out if i leave a good table; but i think keeping my eyes; back and brain healthy and not burning out is more important....

just to clarify; if i am to lose 100$.. i get up have a break and start again from $50
Old 07-18-2006, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
thanks guys, sorry i wasnt clear... i have a bankroll that buys me in; and its no limit....

as for unethical; what can i say; i disagree... online poker has a limited social aspect to it; i couldnt care less whether it winds up my opponents; in facr better if it does

in reply to the 'play optimally' reply; i try to play optimally at all times... admittedly i might miss out if i leave a good table; but i think keeping my eyes; back and brain healthy and not burning out is more important....

just to clarify; if i am to lose 100$.. i get up have a break and start again from $50

[/ QUOTE ]
my guess is that many people do not like you. but it sounds like you don't care.

thus, this post is meaningless. QED.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:01 PM

Personally I think you lose a fair bit of EV if you take your wins off the table in some way. It's not uncommon for a bad player to get lucky and double up and you miss the opportunity to play them deep stacked.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you don't give a [censored], hopefully people will not care enough to give you useful advice in response to your posts.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:16 PM

'this post is meaningless'... as if that one had a point.

i assure you i'm a nice caring guy in real life..

when i'm playing poker everyone on that table is my enemy, best friend, mum, whoever...

as for the loss of ev; this is a fair point but for me in terms of 'life' ev its better for me to get 10 150+ $ in the bank rather than risk a huge stack.

I've had a bad time of it on the tables and need to steadily build my roll (which was $15k at one point) back to $6k r so to then hav a crack at th odd big tourney or bigger cash game.

thanks again... maybe this isn't a good grinding method and should perhaps be viewed as a bankroll building excercise?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM

I've had great success building a bankroll playing poker.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've had great success building a bankroll playing poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just gonna say, what's wrong with grinding out hands like everyone else does?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]

when i'm playing poker everyone on that table is my enemy

[/ QUOTE ]

How nice & caring you are is irrelevant. When I'm at the poker table, everyone is my "enemy" too. I am doing everything I can to take every dime the have in front of them, and not let them get any of my money.

But if you think that poker being a competition gives you the right to behave in unethical ways, then you are a bad person.

Let's try an example. You are on a soccer team. Your team is good. Real good. Good enough in fact that you've made it to the finals. So there you are at the World Cup finals playing against your arch-nemisis. Unfortunately, your opposition is much better than you, and you know that there is no way you can fairly win this match unless you get very lucky. So to remedy this problem, they day before the match you poison the food of some of the other team's key players. You don't kill them. You just incapacitate them for one day, after which they will fully recover. They are forced to sit thier key players and sub-in 2nd stringers, which gives you a fighing chance in the match.

Was your behavior ethical? Regardless of the answer to the first question, was your behavior accpetable?
Old 07-18-2006, 12:34 PM

Goot points grunch. I also like how you subtly imply that ratholers do what they do because they believe (know!) that they are inferior players whose only chance of building a bankroll is to limit their losses and get lucky a lot.
Old 07-18-2006, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

when i'm playing poker everyone on that table is my enemy

[/ QUOTE ]

How nice & caring you are is irrelevant. When I'm at the poker table, everyone is my "enemy" too. I am doing everything I can to take every dime the have in front of them, and not let them get any of my money.

But if you think that poker being a competition gives you the right to behave in unethical ways, then you are a bad person.

Let's try an example. You are on a soccer team. Your team is good. Real good. Good enough in fact that you've made it to the finals. So there you are at the World Cup finals playing against your arch-nemisis. Unfortunately, your opposition is much better than you, and you know that there is no way you can fairly win this match unless you get very lucky. So to remedy this problem, they day before the match you poison the food of some of the other team's key players. You don't kill them. You just incapacitate them for one day, after which they will fully recover. They are forced to sit thier key players and sub-in 2nd stringers, which gives you a fighing chance in the match.

Was your behavior ethical? Regardless of the answer to the first question, was your behavior accpetable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure this is the best analogy to use since the topic in question is pretty subjective whereas the soccer analogy is just out and out cheating/illegal.

That aside I also don't really have a problem with people who want to do this. I don't myself because I consider it severely -EV and will come and go from tables based on whether I wish to be playing and whether I think I have an edge.

If someone else isn't comfortable playing for 200BB+ I don't see why they should be forced to move tables just to play with a normal stack. And if they wish to lock up their win then good for them, someone else will take their seat and I'll play against them.