Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: should i fold the nuts here? stupid question right....

[ QUOTE ]
lol @ folding that preflop

plz

[/ QUOTE ]

I really see nothing wrong with a preflop fold here at all, OP is in the SB, and is very unlikely to flop a hand that can be played easily post flop when he's OOP. I am more inclinded to laugh at fold in late position, but not one in the Small Blind.

I think this hand is matter of preference, but if you are going to call and then fold the flopped nuts, I have trouble justifying the preflop call. Don't get me wrong, I am not advocating a stack off, but I would at least try to keep the pot small and make it to the turn.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

plz

[/ QUOTE ]

I really see nothing wrong with a preflop fold here at all, OP is in the SB, and is very unlikely to flop a hand that can be played easily post flop when he's OOP. I am more inclinded to laugh at fold in late position, but not one in the Small Blind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hero is in the BB.

Bit of a "meh" on the call/fold pre-flop front. If I'm pretty confident it won't get re-raised and I'm only paying 2/3 the cost, it's fine to call. I don't think you're giving up much EV by folding though.

It's important to note that not all nut straights are created equal, and this one is as bad as they can come. If there's anytime to fold with the nuts and almost 1/3 of your stack already in, this is it.
Old 07-25-2007, 05:42 PM

I have a really tough time folding this pre flop even though our position blows. Maybe, I find a fold if we're HU. However, isn't this the type of hand we're looking to play a multiway pot with? Seems like we're more than getting our odds preflop, b/c we're almost sure that both the limpers are gonna call for $1 more. Flop - I never never ever lead into this pot under these circumstances. I.E. the naked nut straight with the family left behind me to act. I call most flop bets here and stack off to a safe turn. In fact, if the turn blanks I'm probably going to lead AI if possible. I'm sure someone will say to just c/r the flop AI if we're going to get it all in on a safe turn anyways. I'm trying to get to the turn cheap and then shove, but that's just me baby.
Old 07-26-2007, 02:05 AM

I'd almost fold this in the SB for no raise. Seriously, that hand is almost that bad. Unless I flop quads, Aces full, nut flush, or made straight with a flush draw, I don't want to put any money in. You aren't going to hit the rest (and get paid) very often at all. When you flop anything else and meet any resistance (2-pair OOP multiway, straight with a FD out, whee!!!), you're always getting your money in awful.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

plz

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

i was in the bb i think. and i like to get involved multiway. the implied odds at the beginning of a hand are so big, at least in holdem, that seeing a flop 5 way for 3bbs and all 1000bbs deep would make sense with almost any two. (just an example u get the point)

however after running some ev calculations i came up with fold.

ev of fold = -10.05
ev of call = -12.73

ev of call is defined by

(tie) 10.8% * 1/2 * 104 = 5.616
(win) 2.44% * 104 = 2.53
(lose) 87.78% * 104 = -20.88

money saved spends as good as money earned. and had i known what the others two holdings were exactly, id have mucked. this was about as bad as i couldve been aside from them both having the nuts with redraws.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a really tough time folding this pre flop even though our position blows. Maybe, I find a fold if we're HU. However, isn't this the type of hand we're looking to play a multiway pot with? Seems like we're more than getting our odds preflop, b/c we're almost sure that both the limpers are gonna call for $1 more. Flop - I never never ever lead into this pot under these circumstances. I.E. the naked nut straight with the family left behind me to act. I call most flop bets here and stack off to a safe turn. In fact, if the turn blanks I'm probably going to lead AI if possible. I'm sure someone will say to just c/r the flop AI if we're going to get it all in on a safe turn anyways. I'm trying to get to the turn cheap and then shove, but that's just me baby.

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks, ill probably take that line next time something like this happens. i really didnt think about how bad of shape im in against 4 random hands here and the oop part doesnt help. as a NLHE player i wanna get ai with the nuts anytime i have em. but this is a nuance i havent dealt with too much in omaha. other than when a guy is freerolling with me and its obvious that he has the nuts too maybe a draw to go with, i just raise with my nuts.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM

The EV of folding is always 0! (Another useful thing I learnt from these forums.)
Old 07-26-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The EV of folding is always 0! (Another useful thing I learnt from these forums.)

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fairly misleading soundbite. It suggests that you can never be making a mistake by folding, but it's merely a baseline against which to compare to calling and raising.