Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 04:51 PM

Default Re: X-Post: poker pro - hardest job there is?

It's psychologically difficult at times, but that's it. Funny thread.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:05 PM

I'm playing professionally now (admittedly not for very long), but I had time to watch the entire first season of Buffy the Vampire Slayer last week.

So no, the job's not very hard.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:09 PM

Poker is up there with the easiest jobs ever.

Work from home, set your own hours, get paid a high amount with no glass ceiling on earnings beyond your own skills = awesome.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Jesus I hope this is a gimmick. Poker harder than surgery? Get over yourself. If you can't get used to swings, what makes you think surgeons get used to losing patients? And yes I am a pro.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not a gimmick [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

When I was comparing it to a surgeon's job, I was accepting that a surgeon has an emotional aspect to his job.

What I consider more difficult, is making new complex/difficult decisions each time I play... unlike a surgeons who are doing the same procedure they've probably done 100x before (vasectomy, remove appendix, install breast implants, etc).

If I could come to play poker today and get dealt the exact same hands I was dealt yesterday, and my opponents the same - and just follow the same process I'd done before... wow, it would be easy.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I play mid-stakes 6max LHE for a living

[/ QUOTE ]

well here's your problem right here
Old 10-20-2007, 05:20 PM

If you love poker you become a poker pro. It's not easy but then you know that. What makes a job tough? Doing someting you hate is what makes a job tough. If your gf can't handle the fact that phones and IM's are off-limit when you are playing aka working then get a new girl. Chances are her level of respect for your choice of profession would be the same even if you were a heart surgeon.
Bottom line-it's not about what is the toughest job in the world. It's about setting limits around how much multi-tasking you can effectively do no matter what you do for a living.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:21 PM

Previous jobs-

Laborer. Jack-hammering, using a sledgehammer, carrying concrete 40 hours a week is exhausting. Mentally, it is very depressing to go home at night.

Sales- Highly stressful with large swings. People are trying to "outplay" you as well.

Bike Messenger-- Better be on top of your mind here. Dodging traffic, people, dogs, etc. Get used to it after a while, until you get nailed by a car or flip your bike.

Telemarketer-- Fired in less than two days, no comment.

Live poker pro-- The swings last longer and suck worse.

I don't know if you can say any of these jobs were easier or harder. I will say that a very unique bunch of people are able to attain success at this. It does take a high threshold of boredom and a ton of mental accuitty.

For someone like me, a high school dropout with no college. Yes, this is the hardest job I ever had.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 PM

Being a blackjack pro is way harder than being a poker pro. Being a chess pro is harder still.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bike Messenger-- Better be on top of your mind here. Dodging traffic, people, dogs, etc. Get used to it after a while, until you get nailed by a car or flip your bike.

[/ QUOTE ]

I also did this. 12hr days of riding almost non-stop. Through 100 degrees in summer, and 0 degree mornings in winter... all day raining, etc. It's a tough job... but it's physical - I different type of difficult.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Being a blackjack pro is way harder than being a poker pro. Being a chess pro is harder still.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good shout on the black jack pro. Tough decisions and having to hide your prowess from multiple observers.

I counted cards (recreationally) before coming to poker, I believe at the time of my switch over many others were doing the same.