Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 02:55 AM

Default Re: Why do poker players seem to think they are great?

Another thing is that it is very easy to learn a few simple principles and become a winner at low-stakes games. These players have some success and start thinking that anyone not playing a weak-tight TAG game is an idiot. They think the game is simple because they have no trouble taking money from calling stations and maniacs. They don't know how to play good poker and usually can't identify good players who aren't weak-tight TAGs. They may even think these players are morons.

For example, suppose I am playing 6-max NL and it is folded to me on the button. I raise with a really marginal hand, hoping to steal the blinds, and a blind calls. I flop nothing but a gutshot and the blind, a weak-tight table coach checks. I make a continuation bet and he calls. I plan on check/folding the turn since he probably has me beat. Instead I hit my gutshot and end up stacking him. From his perspective, I bet preflop with trash, then bet with just a gutshot and ended up sucking out on him. He has no idea what really happened in the hand and assumes I'm an idiot maniac. A few hands later I stack him again, this time with a set vs. his top pair, weak kicker. He wonders how an idiot like me gets so lucky. He has no idea that I only play big pots with big hands.
Old 10-22-2006, 06:44 AM

It's not just poker dude it's anything in life.

When I go fishing... I'm the fish god...(who can't bait the hook)

When I go golfing... I"m tiger (master of hitting out of the woods)

When I go skiing... I'm king of the mountain

When I go hunting... I'm the king killer

When I go shopping... I'm the king of finding a deal

When I have sex...I'm king of the woman (Now she does disagree with this)

When I cook... I'm king of the kitchen

You have to understand that we are men and we are stupid. No matter what we do we are the best at everything.

Its the truth that the people who are the best at things are the ones who knew they suck and worked at it.

Me I could care less if I'm good at anything.. because in my mind I already am [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] anyone who says otherwise is just trying to ruin my day. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-22-2006, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Another thing is that it is very easy to learn a few simple principles and become a winner at low-stakes games. These players have some success and start thinking that anyone not playing a weak-tight TAG game is an idiot. They think the game is simple because they have no trouble taking money from calling stations and maniacs. They don't know how to play good poker and usually can't identify good players who aren't weak-tight TAGs. They may even think these players are morons.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what makes me laugh....they dont realize if it was truly that simple, everyone would be making a living playing poker since basic strategy can be learned in weeks. Its like these people think they have some kind of inside knowledge that isnt even very complex. People just tend to underestimate their competiton for some reason. Like I said in the OP, I dont mind it is just kind of amusing.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what makes me laugh....they dont realize if it was truly that simple, everyone would be making a living playing poker since basic strategy can be learned in weeks. Its like these people think they have some kind of inside knowledge that isnt even very complex. People just tend to underestimate their competiton for some reason. Like I said in the OP, I dont mind it is just kind of amusing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lets not go crazy. If it were that simple, the vast majority of players would still lose. Heck, at levels high enough to probably make a living, it IS that simple. I can play 2/5 NL live, play like a simple robot and probably scrape together a living.

Mastering things makes people feel powerful. Obviously no one really masters poker, but you can master certain concepts. And when you master the first couple major concepts, you feel powerful. By the time you've mastered many of the important concepts, its old hat and you aren't nearly as cocky about it.
Old 10-22-2006, 12:10 PM

"Another thing is that it is very easy to learn a few simple principles and become a winner at low-stakes games."

I do not agree with this. In fact beating low stakes games for a reasonable income is not as easy as it appears. Also there is a huge difference between live and online IMO, they simply can't be compared IMO.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"Another thing is that it is very easy to learn a few simple principles and become a winner at low-stakes games."

I do not agree with this. In fact beating low stakes games for a reasonable income is not as easy as it appears. Also there is a huge difference between live and online IMO, they simply can't be compared IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously? The only reason all low-stakes games arent ridiculously crushable is because of the rake. I'm fairly confident I could teach my grandma to beat 1/2 NL or 3/6 LHE, either online or live, and definitely live.

Man, this post was a great example of the OP!
Old 10-22-2006, 09:56 PM

Because luck plays such a big part in poker, when a player loses he can console himself with the fact that the cards were poor, when he wins he attributes to his skill. This is called self-deceit.
Old 10-24-2006, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right when you say that these kinds of players are contributors, but they're kind of like the idiot who live straddles all night long. They are actually a detriment to the game because they scare other fish away. While I'll let an opponent straddle all night long and take his money, I'll call out the table coach each and every time. I'll let my opponent vent, but the second he starts telling others how to play, I'll say something like, "one player per hand, please" or "if you think he's such a bad player, then take his money".

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a frequent straddler hurts the game? I don't think I've ever seen this effect. It seems to me like:

1) It makes even the worst player at the game happy to stay, thinking he must have an edge since "even he knows not to straddle".

2) It gives off the impression that everyone's there to gamble, and makes people not take the game quite as seriously.

3) It just generally makes people play looser. They're not going to fold top pair (or sometimes ace high) if the game's full of crazy people that like to straddle.

Seriously, I think straddling does nothing but loosen the game up, and I'm always happy to see a straddler at my table. Sometimes, if the game gets too tight, I'll even throw in a straddle or two myself just to give off a loose image and get everyone gambling again. I really can't imagine how this would hurt a game.
Old 10-25-2006, 06:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Yes, you are right when you say that these kinds of players are contributors, but they're kind of like the idiot who live straddles all night long. They are actually a detriment to the game because they scare other fish away. While I'll let an opponent straddle all night long and take his money, I'll call out the table coach each and every time. I'll let my opponent vent, but the second he starts telling others how to play, I'll say something like, "one player per hand, please" or "if you think he's such a bad player, then take his money".

[/ QUOTE ]

You think a frequent straddler hurts the game? I don't think I've ever seen this effect. It seems to me like:

1) It makes even the worst player at the game happy to stay, thinking he must have an edge since "even he knows not to straddle".

2) It gives off the impression that everyone's there to gamble, and makes people not take the game quite as seriously.

3) It just generally makes people play looser. They're not going to fold top pair (or sometimes ace high) if the game's full of crazy people that like to straddle.

Seriously, I think straddling does nothing but loosen the game up, and I'm always happy to see a straddler at my table. Sometimes, if the game gets too tight, I'll even throw in a straddle or two myself just to give off a loose image and get everyone gambling again. I really can't imagine how this would hurt a game.

[/ QUOTE ]

Imo, straddlers help keep the nits away and the gamblers on the table. I've never really seen them have a detrimental effect on a game.

b
Old 10-25-2006, 06:45 AM

I'm a proven winner at 400NL and I think I suck. I will not feel good about my game until I beat high stakes for a good amount.