Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 07:16 PM

Default Chasing gutshot straight to the river?

Chasing gutshot straight to the river, no flush possibility and no pair, when do u do it?, only on big pots?, only in position?

How do play against gutshot chaser?
Old 08-09-2007, 07:35 PM

Default Re: Chasing gutshot straight to the river?

Very general question; very general answer is when implied pot odds warrant it, also keeping in mind the likelihood that another player may raise it could make your call -EV. Demand better odds to keep chasing if there's a flush draw on board, or you're drawing to a non-nut straight or a one-card straight. You also need to keep in mind how backdoor draws and overcards may add outs to your draw.

If you have a top pair hand with straight draws possible, try to protect your hand by playing it in a way that gutshot chasers will have to call two cold to stay in. If they're willing to do that and they catch, tell them "nh" and remind yourself you made money when they called your raise.
Old 08-09-2007, 07:54 PM

Assuming there are no other outs but ur gutshot and ur closing the turn bets, big pot too, are u going to chase?
Old 08-09-2007, 08:08 PM

A lot of times you'll have odds to chase on the flop but not on the turn. With no flush draws out, I'll make the call on the flop getting 8:1 because I have an extra street to make up the bets, but I'd want at least 10:1 to keep going on the turn.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A lot of times you'll have odds to chase on the flop but not on the turn. With no flush draws out, I'll make the call on the flop getting 8:1 because I have an extra street to make up the bets, but I'd want at least 10:1 to keep going on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

well these people I played with everyday will call raise with gutshot straight and I see them get lucky everyday.

Let me give u an example, flop is A,3,8, I have AQ suited which I raised EP, 5 people called me, on the turn 3 people called me and I made my two pairs, Q was the turn card, river is a harmless 5, one person c/r me, he was holding 2,4 offsuit.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

well these people I played with everyday will call raise with gutshot straight and I see them get lucky everyday.

Let me give u an example, flop is A,3,8, I have AQ, pot is not too big, 5 people called me, on the turn 3 people called me and I made my two pairs, Q was the turn card, river is a harmless 5, one person c/r me, he was holding 2,4 offsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

depending on how big the pot was, the guy holding 2/4 offsuit could have easily played his hand perfectly postflop.

in the long run though if they're calling with the wrong odds they're donating money.
Old 08-10-2007, 04:07 PM

It's rarely worth it to chase a gutterball to the river. If there are several players in the pot and the pot is of decent size on the flop (10 big blinds +), I'll see the turn. However, you're gonna want the pot to be at least 12 Big Bets going into the river to make your gutshot draw worth it. Don't throw the money away...
Old 08-10-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Chasing gutshot straight to the river, no flush possibility and no pair, when do u do it?,

[/ QUOTE ]

when i have the implied odds to do so.
Old 08-10-2007, 07:08 PM

Also, the pot must be extra large on the flop for you to call when the board is paired or 2 to a flush as both of these situations cut down on your odds.

Post BBV in BBV in the future. You want your opponents to chase gutshots. This is one of the reasons why they lose money and why you can make money. The reason why it seems like they 'always' catch is because bad beats stand out in our minds more than wins. You don't think much about the times that your oppenents were chasing you with who-knows-what to the river and then folded, but this happens far more often than your oppenent flipping over a rivered gut shot.