Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2007, 09:39 AM

Default Re: rivered 2 pair, value bet gets raised

Don't like your play on last two streets as you put yourself in a tough position, the way it played i would fold too.
Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM

Raise preflop to isolate against limpers. Flop is good, turn is perfect, VB river for 10 and call this riverbet for sure.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Raise preflop to isolate against limpers. Flop is good, turn is perfect, VB river for 10 and call this riverbet for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just wondering what are you putting this guy on?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:19 AM

raise pre?! and get called down by hands that have you dominated for the most part?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:22 AM

hmm he either has a flush or 76 i guess, but who knows this guys a donk.

probably a fold though, dont think i would in game
Old 07-06-2007, 10:50 AM

its pretty close so id probably call. that way you get some info, plus i always err towards whatever will give me the chance to play a little deepstacked. if i lose i can just rebuy.
Old 07-06-2007, 03:42 PM

About the preflop raise I disagree: on a table full of tags, a raise is good, but here we are at a table full of loose-passive shortstacks. The blinds are not raising me if I limp, I am likely behind vs some player, but if I hit big I can still build a pot. In this situation an overlimp is better imo.

Betting the turn would maybe have been better. I chose for pot control, but he was capable of calling with worse hands (say middle pair) so yes, maybe a turn bet would have been worth the value.

I'm not sure about c/c the river; his postflop AF is very low so he will - probably - check behind with hands he would call with. It's debatable if this induces a bluff often enough to make up for the missing value when he checks behind.

However, that does not automatically mean that his raise means a monster, which makes me more and more lean towards a call. To be honest, I was 50/50 about the decision but folded because I was closing down my session, finishing my orbits, and did not want to be put on life tilt in case he rivered a flush.
Old 07-06-2007, 04:07 PM

You said it right here

[ QUOTE ]
his postflop AF is very low

[/ QUOTE ]

Big River raises from passive players should set off all sorts of warning bells. He's not bluffing and he's not rasing a worse two pair that much of the time.

Love the bet, love the fold.

BTW: Bet the Turn
Old 07-06-2007, 04:36 PM

*EDITED (sorry misread your hand lol)
The guy is either bored or sick of getting bullied. He could have played 7/8 or 6/7 and called the flop (IF he's seen you pot size bet the flop regularly). Had you been making a lot of hands close before that situation and been betting the flop? had you been stealing the last few pots on the flop? You have a lot of chips there, almost twice as much as anyone else and if your table image is a stealing sort or you had been making your hand a lot on the flop, he is just going to stop believing these bets. People don't like to feel bullied (remember to make your decision about him being passive post flop he must have been bet against a lot on the flop and had to fold). This could lead to him being so frustrated and calling middle pair to see what you do on the turn. He got a free card on the river, and now you really don't know where you stand at all. Alternatively he could have made 2 pair or trips on the flop and be slow playing it. This is a tough decision but I would probably check the river down if I could. Or if he bet the river decide then whether you think he has it (you would have to include what your playing style looks like in your decision).

possible hands that fit the play
4/3 hearts
7/8
7/6
A/7

I said 4/3 hearts because he could be bored of not making a hand and just HOPE he hits a 5, the board then backdoor flushed for him (although this hand is most unlikely I've seen bored players do this)