Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2007, 03:50 PM

Default Re: NL200 | KK, Ace high coordinated board, Tough Opponent

[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't we want to make about a $10 bet here to establish where we are in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, you bet $10, he calls.

What do you REALLY know about his hand?

I suppose you know that he doesn't have complete air like KQ or an underpair like 55, but why would you want those to fold anyway?
Old 03-02-2007, 03:55 PM

and sometimes, he checkraises you with KQ or 55.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:06 PM

After reading all the responses, I think a lot it comes down to how good of a hand reader he is. I think the worse he is, the more likely you should be to check. and vice verse if he is good. Of course you also have to factor in how you would play stronger hands here.

Am I on the right track with this thinking?
Old 03-02-2007, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
After reading all the responses, I think a lot it comes down to how good of a hand reader he is. I think the worse he is, the more likely you should be to check. and vice verse if he is good. Of course you also have to factor in how you would play stronger hands here.

[/ QUOTE ]

also have to factor in his aggression.

because while he might put you on KK/QQ here if you check behind, he probably doesn't know how much fold equity he has with a bluff.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

also have to factor in his aggression.

because while he might put you on KK/QQ here if you check behind, he probably doesn't know how much fold equity he has with a bluff.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's true
Old 03-02-2007, 04:14 PM

Against opponents that I have a good read on, I don't mind betting the flop here sometimes.

Against a difficult LAG, I really don't see much point in betting. I don't think we get any value, and I don't think he folds anything we beat in his range. We also re-open the betting to someone who is capable of c/r a variety of hands.

I'm also not too worried about draws from alot of players if he is the type that is aware of positional advantage. It is less likely that he would have something like some kind of suited/connected hand than a fishy player calling from the SB. And if he does have a draw, it is probably large, and you may be behind anyway (ie AdXd).
Old 03-02-2007, 04:20 PM

grunching

check and bet turn, because he probably raises lots of hands on this board if you bet. against a more mediocre tag i would bet now and might even bet the turn as well if no draws get there.

if the flop goes check check and he checks a blank turn, you bet, and he raises pot, i think you should call fwiw
Old 03-02-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Wouldn't we want to make about a $10 bet here to establish where we are in the hand?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ok, you bet $10, he calls.

What do you REALLY know about his hand?

I suppose you know that he doesn't have complete air like KQ or an underpair like 55, but why would you want those to fold anyway?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he calls a $10 bet into a $26 pot, we know he isn't getting the odds for a flush or straight draw. So he has either got AX or he is making a mistake. Also makes the price of a stone bluff a bit higher. I wanna make him pay to draw a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] or a 6 if that's what he's looking for. If he calls or comes over the top, I can fold in peace.

There is also the chance he will fold because he missed the flop entirely; if I check, I would expect him to bet the turn with almost anything.
Old 03-02-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

if I check, I would expect him to bet the turn with almost anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

whats wrong with that?
Old 03-02-2007, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If he calls a $10 bet into a $26 pot, we know he isn't getting the odds for a flush or straight draw. So he has either got AX or he is making a mistake.

[/ QUOTE ]

Implied odds? Also, he isn't making a mistake if his call convinces you that you are beat.

Also, what ameoba said. If you truly believe he will bet with ATC on the turn, then great, call him.