Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-28-2006, 05:46 AM

Default Reward/punishment

It has become habit so you need to set up reward/punishment systems and follow them like a nazi. Probably the only way to break the habit.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Internet addiction / 2+2 addiction

I dunno, is the purpose of life to make a lot of money? My view is that it's to enjoy yourself. Some people (like me) require specific goals to enjoy themselves, and as long as nothing infriges on my ability to reach that goal, that's all that matters really. If you like 2 + 2 and don't need to make double your income to be happy, then keep doing what you're doing.
Old 02-28-2006, 08:25 AM

I'm up to 730 posts in 3 months. I guess that's more than most people, but I don't feel guilty as it's (mostly) useful for work too. Nobody is going to be upset if they see me reading 2 + 2. Only if I start revealing things I shouldn't :]
Old 02-28-2006, 09:17 AM

The 2+2 forums are an great example of a winning internet application that compliments a winning business. Mason and David et al are truly excellent at what they do.

Some of the posted content here is astonishing in terms of quality. We can thank 2+2 publishing for this.
Old 02-28-2006, 05:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
2+2 is an awesome place. Lots of really smart people here.
Lots of great strategy discussions to help improve one's game.
Want to learn the best places to bonus-chase or which books are most worthwhile? Lots of discussion on that too.

And the sense of community is really nice too. Lots of good people and I consider quite a few of the 2+2 posters to be 'friends' even though I haven't met them in person.

But obviously it's extremely easy to get oneself 'lost' in all the drama all the around here.
ZeeJustin cheated. PartyPoker's software is eating people's computers. William wants to boycot Party. Kurosh is a tilter. Any drama in OOT or NVG or WPT or the Zoo. etc etc etc.

I know I'm not the only one who wastes WAY too much time on 2+2...but I do submit that I am certainly one of the top poster-boys for wasting too much time around here (just check the volume of my posts) in discussions that are really not THAT important.

I also submit that my annual income would probably be double if I spent significantly less time here and used that time at the tables instead.
Perhaps even more than that since I may actually improve asw a player as well.

I know this...and have known this.

The internet can be an addiction. And, unfortunately, my current addiction is not a profitable one.
At least if I was addicted to playing (as is a problem for some people) I would at least be making money.
But here, I'm costing myself money and I know this.

I just think that my whole little 2+2-addiction is interesting.
And I'm interested in others' opinions on their own 2+2 time-wasting as I continue to struggle with getting a handle on my own.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its funny because I consider an addiction something that has a detrimental affect on my life. In actuallity the internet is probably the thing that most closely fits that description in my life. Even more so than poker. I feel like the internet is a bigger detriment to me while at work and have even felt guilty about how much time I spend doing it. However, when I have a free second I am here.

Maybe I need internet surfing anonymous.

Greg
Old 02-28-2006, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I dunno, is the purpose of life to make a lot of money? My view is that it's to enjoy yourself. Some people (like me) require specific goals to enjoy themselves, and as long as nothing infriges on my ability to reach that goal, that's all that matters really. If you like 2 + 2 and don't need to make double your income to be happy, then keep doing what you're doing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I generally agree with this, but Bob believes he's spending too much time on here. He believes it to be detrimental to his earn. He has believed this for quite some time.

I wouldn't assume that just because something is alright with you, it's alright for someone else. This is somewhat similar to the mistake that a player makes in assuming that everyone plays like they do.
Old 02-28-2006, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But here, I'm costing myself money and I know this.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are costing yourself money, but perhaps not as much as you would think...

1. You enjoy spending time on 2+2.
By releasing stress associated with work, and doing something you enjoy doing, you greatly improve your overall mindset. While there are sections of these forums dedicated to strategy, there are also sections dedicated specifically to entertainment. Segregate them mentally. (I wonder if someone in Software could code up something that blocks certain forum links, so that you can choose to browse only strategy or only entertainment. The Management may disapprove.)

2. You must spend time on 2+2.
The facts stand: you can't cut it out of your diet. Focussing on professional development is an extremely important skill to those who are self-employed. It's easy to get lost in streaks without getting solid feedback from outside sources. Without these forums, you wouldn't be where you were today. Without these forums, you won't be where you could be ten years from now.

As a moderator, you also have somewhat of an obligation to the community; however, I'm sure people will understand if you elect to take off certain hours of the day.

I think you need to focus on working when you are working. Set aside specific hours where you will play hard and play focussed. You already know how to put together a work schedule. Write it down and stick it on your wall. Don't do anything else when you're working. Work on getting into the playing zone. Brush over a book, or grab a bite to eat. You already know this. But do not open a web browser before you start a session. Everything will lead you back to 2+2, I promise. Just stick to the game plan.

When you're finished your session, feel free to open up 2+2, but limit yourself to a set number of posts per day. Actually, make it so that you can must post a specific number of times (ie make exactly 20 posts per day). Doing this will force you to concentrate on making more meaningful posts, and dissociate you from the larger threads. The more you post, the more threads you will want to monitor. But if you don't post enough, you won't get your fix.

Start tonight at midnight.
Start tonight at midnight.
Old 02-28-2006, 10:02 PM

Spend more time in the strategy forums and you will have a good excuse to visit the site.
Old 02-28-2006, 11:26 PM

Old 02-28-2006, 11:44 PM

Sciolist is right. The point of life is to enjoy yourself, not to make money. If you enjoy 2+2, more power to you.

FWIW, all the boards are the same, except most of them are worse. 2+2 is like moonshine, compared to some of the crack-pipes out there.

I attribute it to the fact there are some sites that have actual women on them.