Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-28-2007, 02:58 PM

Default Re: Why is HSP3 a major disappointment?

i feel like any NLHE game played that high is kind of automatically a good show. just based on the "pain threshold" these players have to pass through when losing a big hand is enough to generate great competition and excitement. i can't imagine any other poker show beating HSP out.

having said that, i do think that they could have longer weekly sessions (kind of like the two hour episodes of WPT) and show how players are doing over a longer period of time. i didn't think the problem was too many players (i liked new blood and fresh faces), but not long enough episodes.

-TheMan
Old 03-28-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is HSP3 such a major disappointment?

Probably cause you were expecting too much

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's still the best poker show on TV by far. Everyone's expectations were too high. Sure there are lots of little things they could do to make it better, but it's pretty dang good as is. It would be better to have one lineup play longer. (I still wanna see "Live at the Bellagio" GOGOGO)

It seems like everyone is disappointed there weren't any huge cooler hands; obv. the producers can't force that to happen.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:21 PM

For that amount of cash, they need to play HSP at some ultra exotic location/landmark. I don't like the set for some reason.

-TheMan
Old 03-28-2007, 03:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is HSP3 such a major disappointment?

Probably cause you were expecting too much

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly, i wish people moaning on about it being a dissapointment would just stop watching/commenting about it
Old 03-28-2007, 04:14 PM

I don't find it disappointing. If you do I guess you were expecting too much when you heard all the players that were coming.
Old 03-28-2007, 04:24 PM

IMO, a weekly 2-hour episode would solve most of the problems.

-TheMan
Old 03-28-2007, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IMO, a weekly 6-10 hour episode would solve most of the problems.

-TheMan

[/ QUOTE ]
FYP [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 03-28-2007, 05:53 PM

If they can spot the DPT a two hour show, why can't HSP get a two hour spot, its not like GSN has all that much original programming, I figure they want to spread it out as long as possible, keep us hooked on these little 42min segments (42 minutes without the commercials). I don't know why they don't film for three days, and give us two hour episodes, with more of the "boring" hands, I think that they underestimate what we are willing to watch, I for one would watch the entire sessions unedited, I would also find it interesting if they would show the graphics of what people are folding (didnt they use to do this?) Lets all email GSN with our demands for 2 hour episodes.
Old 03-29-2007, 01:33 AM

Seems like the most common complaint is too many lineup switches. Yet, in the weekly threads, there were numerous gripes along the lines of "this table is getting stale or boring...can't wait until (Ivey/aba/Farha/DN/Antonius/etc.) shows up to get some action in the game."

As far as the no-name/nitty/fishy guys are concerned, they have pretty much always been there- Nasseri, Buss, Amnon, Chamanara, Zeidman- so I don't think there's a big difference between this season vs. the previous ones. How the pros attack the lesser players is one of the things that makes the play interesting.

The big difference this season, which someone has already pointed out, is the lack of interesting hands. And unless you're going to stack the deck, or tape much longer sessions and edit it down, I don't see anything you can do about that.

(Though, with all the people who complain each week about boring HSP episodes, is it any wonder the quiz show scandals of the 50s took place and that even most of today's "reality" shows are scripted and/or heavily edited, and basically conceived, contrived, and manufactured the exact same way fictional shows are?)
Old 03-29-2007, 02:57 AM

I think most people here enjoy and look forward to each episode HSP. We all know it’s not perfect, but it’s the best poker on TV. The players don’t make the right plays every time; we disagree with how a hand was analyzed, that’s all good discussion. Some people think their really cool if they rip the show a new one after each episode. Season 3 is different than 1&2 but just as enjoyable. You can be sure the critics are going to be watching the last few episodes of season 3 and counting the days till season 4 starts, then we'll find out why we shouldn't like it.