Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2007, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Turn Misdeal Ruling

The burns aren't because the cards are in some magical order, they're to prevent people from seeing marks on cards to come. To put out a card ahead of time removes the purpose of the burn altogether.
Old 06-02-2007, 12:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The burns aren't because the cards are in some magical order, they're to prevent people from seeing marks on cards to come. To put out a card ahead of time removes the purpose of the burn altogether.

[/ QUOTE ]

True, but don't forget that if the dealer happens to misdeal by exposing one of the two hole cards for a player, the exposed card becomes the burn card for the flop, in which case the players could see any marks on the first of the three cards to be dealt on the flop. I suppose the exposed card could be put on top of the deck before the flop is dealt, but that almost never occurs, at least in the home games in which I play.
Old 06-02-2007, 02:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I suppose the exposed card could be put on top of the deck before the flop is dealt, but that almost never occurs

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, then, you're not doing it properly, and I'm sure you've at least once had the "oh, crap, I burned again" problem. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Put the exposed card face-up on top of the deck.
Old 06-02-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did you see the last sentence of that paragraph where I said, but try getting the other nine players to agree? For your casual player the pre-ordained order of the cards tends to be very important. If it weren't, nobody would ever rabbit hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but you said it was a great suggestion, so unless you're saying that to appease the "order of the cards" people, I didn't understand why you thought this was a great idea.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Did you see the last sentence of that paragraph where I said, but try getting the other nine players to agree? For your casual player the pre-ordained order of the cards tends to be very important. If it weren't, nobody would ever rabbit hunt.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but you said it was a great suggestion, so unless you're saying that to appease the "order of the cards" people, I didn't understand why you thought this was a great idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why not appease the order of the cards people? From my standpoint, as long as the cards are random it doesn't matter if the randomness is established at the begining of hte hand and then set, or through a continuous shuffle, or a rushuffle after every street. So, while I say it would make no difference if you just reshuffled the deck after the flop, including the exposed card, there isn't any inherent benefit to that over keeping the original river card as the river card. Equally random.

I said this was a great idea because it allows the exposed card an equal chance to come again on the turn. And keeping the original river card on the river both appeases the order of the cards folks, and makes the river random (due to the original shuffle.)

What's not to like?

Damn, before I could hit submit I thought of something not to like. If the exposed card doesn't come on the turn, you know it can't come on the river. Whether that's better or worse than knowing it can't come on the turn under the current rules I don't know. But I think it does mean that the optimium rule would be to reshuffle the deck after the flop and screw the order of the cards people and their superstitious monkey-god worshipping.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46 AM

I don't know that one rule is better than the other. If you truly believe in randomness, then you shouldn't care which method is used because the mistake was random and you can't legitimately claim to have any stake in having any particular card in the deck appear as the fourth board card. The only other question is whether the misdealt card should have one or two chances to appear on the board. Not sure if one or two chances is more consistent with the principle of true randomness.

One reason for reshuffling before the turn is because the betting of those left to act on the flop could be influenced by knowing that a particular card in the deck is out of the game, so to speak, for the fourth round, but could appear on the fifth round. The influence is small, very small I'd say, but it is there and the best way to eliminate it is to reshuffle before the turn card is exposed.