Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-19-2007, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Going to take the LSAT in October, just started prep yesterday...

Enjoy.

edit: I lied in there about LSAC not licensing their questions for retail. Some books do have real questions.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:04 AM

Wow cool, two experts Noah and Misfire here. Here's what I've got so far,
2 Logic Bibles, LR and LG,
The Kaplan comprehensive book
and the TRP workbook.

Any suggestions for more materials that I might need? Currently deciding between TPR, Kaplan, and Powerscore for the course.
Old 07-20-2007, 11:06 AM

Also retep and I are trying to get a study/ motivational group going for the October test, so if anyone is interested pm me, or just post here. I'm quitting my job in 2 weeks to study for this full time so I'm taking it a bit seriously...
Old 07-20-2007, 11:17 AM

g

I think you get the idea.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also retep and I are trying to get a study/ motivational group going for the October test, so if anyone is interested pm me, or just post here. I'm quitting my job in 2 weeks to study for this full time so I'm taking it a bit seriously...

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...full-time studying for the LSAT? For two months-plus? You don't mean studying like six- or eight-hours a day, do you?

-McGee
Old 07-20-2007, 04:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude...full-time studying for the LSAT? For two months-plus? You don't mean studying like six- or eight-hours a day, do you?

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Old 07-20-2007, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm yah kinda, my job is brutally tiring 7-5, and I just don't have the energy to study afterwards. Do you think studying this much would overkill and counterproductive?
Old 07-20-2007, 04:25 PM

Anything TPR or Kaplan puts out, either through their courses or books, is worthless at best, and detrimental at worst. The Powerscore Bibles are very good, and PS licenses real LSAT Q's for their materials (TPR and Kaplan do not).

I would suggest working through the 2 bibles, then doing at least 20 timed practice tests. If after all of that you still think you could use some help beyond just practicing, look into a weekend course with either PS or Testmasters.

Good luck.

PS. In the spirit of full disclosure, I should probably say that I am an instructor for PS, as well as a 2L at a top law school.
Old 07-20-2007, 04:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-McGee

[/ QUOTE ]

Umm yah kinda, my job is brutally tiring 7-5, and I just don't have the energy to study afterwards. Do you think studying this much would overkill and counterproductive?

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you don't try to study 9am-9pm and burn out, its fine.

A typical day for you should involve maybe doing a couple sections and one full test, so like 3-4 hours.
Old 07-20-2007, 06:04 PM

I echo Noah's suggestion. The "10 real LSAT" family of books were far and away the best method of preparing for the test.

I bought a Princeton Review book (the large book geared towards those who weren't taking a class). It was helpful as an introduction to the test, but I didn't think its test-taking strategies were very good.

After skimming through the PR book, I bought the entire "10 real LSAT" series. I took most of the tests in one sitting under real conditions (ie timing) and used the others for practice on individual sections. By the time I took the test, I had done every section on every test LSAC publishes past #7 or so.

I was working full-time while studying, so I usually didn't have the energy to take a full test when I got home on weekdays. Splitting the tests up lets you get a section or two in most nights during the week, setting aside at least one weeknight for a full test (+ more full test(s) on the weekend, of course). Combining the sections and full tests, I averaged ~4 tests per week.

The only section where the courses help -- beyond simply requiring you to practice -- are the logic games. I would only spend the money on the course if you have substantial room to improve on that section.

I don't know much about the testprep services other than Kaplan and TestMasters (I think Powerscore is essentially a repackaged version of TestMasters, so I'd probably group them in too). I trained to teach at Kaplan, felt crummy trying to teach their (imho crummy) system, and switched to TestMasters. If you decide to take a class, go with TestMasters / Powerscore.

If you'd be able to practice on your own (w/o requiring them to make you practice), save your money and buy one of the testprep company's LSAT overview book and the entire LSAC series*.

*note on the LSAC series -- the test has changed over time, in terms of the relative difficulty & style of the sections, so the more recent tests will be more helpful than the older tests.