Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-06-2007, 02:52 PM

Default Re: Pipe smoking (Tobacco)

[ QUOTE ]
TY manpower, that's some good information. Do you know anything about what shaniac mentioned wrt not smoking 1 pipe for 2 days in a row?

[/ QUOTE ]
I recall reading something about always keeping 2 pipes, so that if you wanted to smoke twice in a row, you wouldn't need to repack the hot one. Now the bowlpiece is going to get pretty hot while smoking, but I never found it to be a problem if I wanted to repack it right away. In fact I kind of like the sensation of a hot pipe in my hands.

The only other reason I can think of having a bunch of pipes is if you're getting a lot of saliva down into the stem, which can get pretty nasty (if you start pulling it back into your mouth, it's really really nasty), so a fresh pipe would certainly be nice while you let the other dry out. Honestly though, I never had much of a problem with that, but it's not like I was smoking every day either.

Funny thing is, I actually kept two pipes for a long time. Reason is friends would come over and want to smoke with me, so I kept a second 'lender' pipe around for just those occasions.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:53 PM

Yeah that helps a lot. Wow, I gotta do some thinking before I get into this [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].
Old 05-06-2007, 04:10 PM

if your bowl piece is getting too hot you are smoking too hard/fast gotta get your rhythm down better. \

Donkey, I lucky theres an tobacco shop near my house that has a bunch of its own bland and I even got to chat with the guy who came up with a few of the hybrids. hookah was what got me liking tobacco and I like mixing flavors with that and I don't mind it too much with pipe either. I like that taste thats a little bit of the old with some of the new and how the taste changes each puff I take.
Old 05-06-2007, 04:28 PM

If the bowl get hot, tamp it out. It should get warm, not hot. My general rule is if you touch it to your cheek and it is hot, tamp it and let it cool, get your self a drink and relight.
Old 05-06-2007, 11:54 PM

Damn I didnt know smoking a pipe was so complicated. Good info. One of my ex gf's dad smoked a pipe and had a bunch of different ones and I never knew why until now. I just thought he liked to have a bunch around.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:24 AM

This sounds like something I'm going to get into, good advice all round.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This sounds like something I'm going to get into, good advice all round.

[/ QUOTE ]Yeah I think the responses in this thread actually got me a lot more into the idea of it. For now though, off to sunny Victoria, Canada, for 2 weeks of non-stop flying and drinking. I hope I come back alive!

-Jihad
Old 05-07-2007, 12:00 PM

I am a long time cigar smoker who would love to smoke a pipe but thinks it looks crazy. I also am 27 and have smoked cigars for about 10 years. Pipe smoke smells so good and I have enjoyed it the few times I have smoked. I have some friends that smoke pipes as well. But I cant get over the pipe smoking stigma so I just don't. I was toying with rolling my own smokes using it though.

Also, to answer the question of the fellow asking about "organic native american" type smoking experiences. A good cigar is pretty close. They did have cigars back in the day and they are mostly unprocessed. May not be organic though.

Also there are some unflavored loose tobacos that may come close with a pipe.

Greg
Old 05-07-2007, 12:02 PM

Plus isn't spirit tobacco (cigs) supposed to be organic and unprocessed?
Old 05-07-2007, 12:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Plus isn't spirit tobacco (cigs) supposed to be organic and unprocessed?

[/ QUOTE ]

American Spirit tobacco (the blue and yellow boxes that are popular) are "additive-free" NOT organic and they are certainly processed, just with fewer chemicals. They do produce a box of organic cigs, but I dare you to try it and not wretch.