Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > Tournament Circuit/WSOP
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM

Default Re: what do you think when a female gets moved to your table?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, as a woman at the table, I usually find that most (guys) tend to under rate me as a table (which I like, because I can really take advantage of that).

[/ QUOTE ]

so you are a very good table?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you mean, I can use a guys misconceptions to my benefit, you betcha.

Gender aside, I'm also a very good over all Tourney player as well (I play live action just for entertainment right now ... don't have much choice otherwise living in Colorado), and have won many tournements, and cashed in several others.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:22 PM

This makes me smile - I debated even posting back because I really do love that you think we all suck...love that you think me being a 40 year old woman with chips means that I must have gotten lucky to get them...and that just because you don't know my name that I must be terrible. For me this is all good news.

Don't get me wrong, I am not a fan of Women Only tournaments and avoid them like the plague...because of the wide variance of inexperience and my desire to at least play with people who know when they have the winning hand.

I also tend to generalize female players when they sit down once I have seen them play an orbit or two..."ABC player", "Asleep At The Wheel", "Luck Box", "Real Player"...

Just remember there are some of us out here who know exactly what we are doing and appreciate your discounting our skills. This is personally very profitable for me.

I will even manipulate the situation so a lazy and presumptuous guy doubts me more, until I take his chips.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:23 PM

FYI ... link here to the Horses Rear End story ...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:32 PM

DanielleRB,

LMAO ... agree 100 percent. I've sat down at at a table and then have some guy start talking down to me, just because I have boobs instead of testicles.

That's when I go into my 'Dumb Blond' routine, like I don't know anything about poker.

Pretty soon, all his chips are mine, and off to the next victim I go. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Funny thing is, is if I was a guy, I for sure wouldn't get away with doing something like that, and I for sure wouldn't get away with it in a Ladies Only event (which I sometimes like to play in just for the fun of it).
Old 09-11-2007, 08:49 PM

I usually ponder the odds of getting in their pants which always turns out to be 0
Old 09-11-2007, 08:55 PM

most women i have played with all have the same concept of "haha dumb men dont think im good at poker im gonna own them because they underestimate me!"

then they turn out to be either fundamentally poor players and/or tellboxes. they also have seem more inclined to have much less control over their emotions when things are not going their way.

this is not to say that i think all women are awful or anything, as i am sure there are many solid female poker players.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:06 PM

how come they so seldom win ANYTHING?

I mean i know they are a much smaller proportion of the player pool, but surely they should occassionally win more than a 180 person WSOP tourny. I have been really curious about this for some time.

The only one i can think of winning a sizeable field was Vicky Coren, and i thought i heard that that ept field was one of the weakest player pools ever. (Not sure what this was based on tho)
Old 09-11-2007, 10:24 PM

Hotel, on average on the women make up 5 percent of the field. That means that for every 20 players, only 1 of them is a woman.

If you wanted to carry that further, that would mean if you held the same tourney every day at the same time with the same rules, that once every 20 days (on average) a woman would win it.

Men have (as a majority) been playing poker for decades, and it's only in the last few years, that women have entered the field, in any sort of numbers.

It stands to reason, until that gap is closed, where there are either equal number of women to men playing, or at the very least, something very close, then women won't be the winners of events on a regular basis.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
most women i have played with all have the same concept of "haha dumb men dont think im good at poker im gonna own them because they underestimate me!"

then they turn out to be either fundamentally poor players and/or tellboxes. they also have seem more inclined to have much less control over their emotions when things are not going their way.

this is not to say that i think all women are awful or anything, as i am sure there are many solid female poker players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Snaggle, I don't 'assume it', normally some guy has to make some sort of indication to me, most times verbally, many other times by their actions, that they feel that way.

You might consider reading the story I posted the link for, about the 'Horses Rear End' guy, to see what I mean.

I also don't assume I know how someone plays, male or female, based on one session of play either, and for sure not based on what gender they are.

As a rule however, I do tend to be more cautious with my fellow women players, than with men. Simply because experience has taught me, that because most women are new to the game, I find it wiser to take longer to determine if they know how to play or not.

With guys, I tend to pick it up sooner, one way or another, then with women, if they know what they are doing or not, and adjust my game accordingly.

I'm also not saying I know everything there is to poker either, far from it. I'm always willing to pick up new aspects of poker, even from a player (male or female) who 99.99 percent of the time, doesn't know what in the hell they are doing.

There is always that 0.01 percent of the time, they know something I don't, and I'm more than willing to take that (knowledge) and incorporate that into my game to help make me a better player.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hotel, on average on the women make up 5 percent of the field. That means that for every 20 players, only 1 of them is a woman.

If you wanted to carry that further, that would mean if you held the same tourney every day at the same time with the same rules, that once every 20 days (on average) a woman would win it.

[/ QUOTE ]

So why isn't that found to be the result?