Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2007, 11:28 PM

Default Re: half-clay/half-grass court Federer v Nadal

any tennis experts that can weight in here? it seems like whoever is on grass will have a large advantage- but wont switching from class to grass be really difficult for players to have full confidence in their shots?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:26 AM

will they switch shoes when they switch sides?
Old 04-20-2007, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
any tennis experts that can weight in here? it seems like whoever is on grass will have a large advantage- but wont switching from class to grass be really difficult for players to have full confidence in their shots?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume the opposite, the person on clay would have a huge advantage, his shots would go faster and their opponents would move slower on grass than clay.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 AM

wish it was best of 5set

or best of 3match
Old 04-20-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I would assume the opposite, the person on clay would have a huge advantage, his shots would go faster and their opponents would move slower on grass than clay.

[/ QUOTE ]

sorry i didn't read my post. I agree w/ you and the previous poster that whoever is on clay has an advantage.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree. Person on clay would have a huge advantage. The ball moves more slowly on clay, so the guy on the clay will have time to really line up his shots and tee off and then when the ball hits the grass side it will go much faster, so his opponent won't have as much time to "set up" for his return.

The advantage seems really huge for the clay side. If they didn't switch, I think a lot of lesser players could easily beat Federer if they stayed put on the clay side.
Old 04-20-2007, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And what if Nick Rainey was playing on ice with a rubber hose?

[/ QUOTE ]

This is brilliant, just brilliant.
Old 04-20-2007, 03:19 PM

I think you're right. I'm an experienced player on both surfaces. Clay tennis is almost a different game than grass tennis. Anybody on the clay side they should win nearly every point. Unless somebody makes silly errors, it should be a bunch of tieb-reakers decided by a random net cord. The challenge to players will be to adjust their timing and technique between surfaces. I'm eager to watch.
Old 04-20-2007, 06:23 PM

I don't know as much as others, but I think it'll come down to who does better at holding serve when they are on grass. I don't see either of these guys losing a game when they are serving from the clay side and the games should be about even when the grass guy is serving so it should come down to who takes those opportunities.
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 AM

I still don't know how we can watch this thing--it's being played on Wednesday May 2, I think at 5PM EST. I mostly thought this was worth a bump because I found a picture of the court...

Yeah, whenever your court/field/arena/pitch looks photoshopped, it's usually a good thing. Unless it's Disco Demolition Night at Comiskey or you're inside the Spectrum and it's raining.