Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2007, 07:59 PM

Default Re: Some advice please

Also, a lot of companies nowadays put their manuals online. You should check to see if the manufacturer of your product puts their manuals online.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:22 PM

I already tried looking for the manual online. For some reason it's available in other languages but the English version won't work. Could try translating I suppose.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, a lot of companies nowadays put their manuals online. You should check to see if the manufacturer of your product puts their manuals online.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is exactly what you do, it will probably be online.

T
Old 10-17-2007, 06:02 AM

I have replied with the following:

[ QUOTE ]
You're putting me in a difficult position regarding payment for it, because your advice for getting it to work isn't very good. I've used the program features on it and there's no differentiation between when it says it should be easy and when it says it should be difficult. What else can I do? If you want to come and show me how to work it, or take it back, then that's fine.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2007, 12:46 PM

OK I didn't update this thread very well. Here is what has happened since my last e-mail to her.

She replied to the above with:

[ QUOTE ]
"Sorry but i can't remember what the front of it looks like but i can asure you it works because i tested it the morning you picked it up.
if you send me a picture then i might remember how to make it work. But your making things difficult for me too because my partner is expecting payment soon x

[/ QUOTE ]

I then sent her an e-mail (outside of eBay) with a picture attached of the front of the bike, saying:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi. I took a picture of the front of it, which you should find as an attached image.
The buttons obscured by the light are "recovery" and "mode".

[/ QUOTE ]

She replies as follows:

[ QUOTE ]
Hi as i remember you hav to press mode until you pick what setting you want and to increase the difficulty you press the arrow key upwards until the little black squares are all the way to the end. And if you press quick start and press the arrow key up it should get harder too. Hope that helps.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it didn't help. I reply:

[ QUOTE ]
That's what I've been trying since I got it. The higher the black squares are, presumably the harder the setting, but nothing actually happens. There is no difference between the lowest setting and the highest setting on it. So I don't see why I should have to pay for it, since it is of no use to me, and I have already lost money transporting it here, and might also lose more getting somebody from the council to take it to the tip, since I can't re-sell it on eBay. I don't have any reason to believe that it broke being transported here, because it was stable in the back of the taxi the whole time.
You are welcome to take it back.

[/ QUOTE ]

She replies:

[ QUOTE ]
Well it worked when you collected it so we'll have it back thank you

[/ QUOTE ]

Fair enough, I think...

[ QUOTE ]
OK when do you want to pick it up? I am free all of the weekend except the evenings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Today she replies:

[ QUOTE ]
When are you able to bring the bike back to us ?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am about to send my reply to her now. Part of me wants to give a typical "[censored] off" response, but I'm not really that kind of person. So, I'm sending this instead.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not bringing the bike back to you. You're welcome to collect the bike at certain points throughout the week, if this weekend is now too late, or any time after. It seems only fair to me that we should split the costs for an accident that any objective observer would not be able to tell who was responsible for, and I have already paid my half. But in my opinion I shouldn't had to have paid anything, and have a right to compensation which I won't or wouldn't expect you or anybody to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 10-20-2007, 03:46 PM

put the bike out on the curb and give her the address via email...end of transaction.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
But in my opinion I shouldn't had to have paid anything, and have a right to compensation which I won't or wouldn't expect you or anybody to pay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think you have a right to compensation for picking up the bike? She owes you because you lived a way off and didn't have a car to pick it up? Your problem, not hers. By including this in your email, you are looking more belligerent than necessary and if the bike indeed did work, you'll look like even more of a turd.
Old 10-20-2007, 04:00 PM

SIIHP?
Old 10-20-2007, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you think you have a right to compensation for picking up the bike? She owes you because you lived a way off and didn't have a car to pick it up? Your problem, not hers. By including this in your email, you are looking more belligerent than necessary and if the bike indeed did work, you'll look like even more of a turd.

[/ QUOTE ]

I just want her to make sure she knows I think I'm the one who's been put out here. In my experience people totally fail to sympathise in situations like this. I have to say things like this just so that I don't end up looking like the bad guy just in virtue of her thinking she's the good guy.
I admit I will look stupid if it turns out to work, but I've basically already found that it doesn't work. Not sure what else I could do to confirm this. If she e-mails me after picking it up and tells me that it does work and I'm an idiot, I am 90% sure she'll just be saying that even though it doesn't work to pretend as if she was in the right.

I can't just leave this out on the curb and tell her to collect it. In the small chance it gets stolen or taken away I will owe her an exercise bike that she believes, and can claim to have had good evidence for, being in working order. I would definitely be in the wrong then, and should pay the £25 it was supposed to have cost me.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:14 AM

She replied with the following:

[ QUOTE ]
Really ! I think its your responability to bring it back to us as your the one that doesn't want it anymore, that bike worked perfectly when you collected it last saturday.
I just want this over with quickly Thank-you.

[/ QUOTE ]

She's arguing from a position of moral high ground here, but I too have a position of moral high ground (depending on who you believe), and I also have the position of power. I don't want to have to use the position of power. In my last reply I tried looking at it objectively, as if she could possibly be right, but she refuses to sympathise with me, so I'm just going to go back to my own position, and use the power if need be. So I'm replying as so:

[ QUOTE ]
No, the bike did not work when I collected it. I've already wasted nearly £20 on this venture. All you've lost is a broken bike that isn't worth anything. As far as my actions are concerned this is already over. You can end it by either collecting the bike or not collecting the bike. It's not like I've been completely unhelpful. If you like you can send a taxi here and I'll make sure it gets back to you, just as long as this doesn't cost me any more.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am fully aware at the moment that once I give them my address I might be in a vulnerable position. I'm guessing that they don't have a car either, otherwise picking it up would be easy for them anyway. It's possible she, and probably her boyfriend/brother, could come around here with the intention of getting £25 and not the bike.