Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-29-2007, 11:43 PM

Default Re: Daily, weekly, monthly publications worth subscribing to?

[ QUOTE ]
My beef is you make posts like "I buy if the markets rise, and sell if they fall" then respond to beginners like you have a clue. You do not have a clue and I want to make sure beginners do not think that you have one.

[/ QUOTE ]

I employ 2 different strategies. One buys highs and sells lows (trend following), the other buys lows and sells highs (swing trading). Both strategies are independantly +EV even though they appear to contradict each other. They use different time frames and trade management and so 2 conflicting strategies can complement each other by diversification. Each performs best in different market conditions.

Is there something about this you don't understand?

My response in that thread was of little value, which I felt refelcted the utterly pointless speculative question by the OP.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 AM

I tried the Economist but it's so intimidating. Pages and pages of dense text about every topic imaginable. Reading a year of that magazine page to page will make you one knowledgeable mother fker though.
Old 07-30-2007, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I tried the Economist but it's so intimidating. Pages and pages of dense text about every topic imaginable. Reading a year of that magazine page to page will make you one knowledgeable mother fker though.

[/ QUOTE ]

welcome to my world.

i literally read that magazine cover to cover. i started out unable to do it, but you get used to it.

the problem is it takes a full 5 minutes to read each page.

bathroom reading time isn't enough to finish in a week.

you need to set (tea) time aside each morning to digest and think about what you read too.

i approach it like this and i think it helps:

read what you're MOST interested about first.

i read in the following order:

1) busienss
2) economics & finance
3) Politics (the intro that gives short blurbs about politics & economics or whatever...basically the very very very short version of what happened in the past week)
4) Leaders section (main draw of the magazine for many. read this every weak at least just to get a sense).
5) special segment (this week was Iran)
6) THEN i read the magazine front to back starting w/ the briefing, then USA, then Americas, then Asia, Middle east & africa, Europe, Britain, and finally, International

i've done it all the way through like that about 7 times now (abuot 35-40hrs of reading).

it is the most rewarding reading though b/c you learn so much and can relate it to stuff going on as time moves forward.

i cannot recommend that magazine highly enough.

just to give you a sense of how much i read:

in addition to the economist every week, i read the FT & WSJ as described. since may, i've also read 8 full books and am now working my way back through Hull and am on chapter 2 of Mandelbrot's dense text on fractals in finance.

reading is FUNdaMENTAL

Barron
Old 07-30-2007, 05:53 AM

that is incredible reading the economist fully. i usually buy it if i'm travelling as something to read but only probably spend 1-2 hours reading it, and thats about once every 3 months or so.

i agree it would be very interesting to know everything in it, but i just would struggle to devote myself to doing so.
Old 07-30-2007, 06:29 AM

What's the old saying......."believe about 10% of what you read".

Just like in the world of gambling, the best learning tool is the "school of hard knocks".

Having said that, the WSJ is one great newspaper in my opinion and really enjoy reading it.

What about Kiplingers personal finance newsletter, is that still any good or has it sort of ran its course since the coming of the internet?
Old 07-30-2007, 09:56 AM

What can you generally expect to gain from The Economist? Is it more of a learning tool or a magazine that you need to have a pretty good understanding of the market to grasp?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
that is incredible reading the economist fully. i usually buy it if i'm travelling as something to read but only probably spend 1-2 hours reading it, and thats about once every 3 months or so.

i agree it would be very interesting to know everything in it, but i just would struggle to devote myself to doing so.

[/ QUOTE ]

there's also the learning curve. if you don't know how the EU works, or which asian countries are where, or which central american govts are working together, or how south america functions, or where africa is in development etc. etc. etc. it takes about 2-4 issues just to get up that curve.

the articles don't provide enough complete background though and i had to do online research just to understand what was going on for the first few weeks.

the global understanding that i currently feel i've developed (and will be developing) is so well worth it though that i'd do it again every day of the week and twice on sundays!

Barron

PS- i have wierd quirk. if i'm reading an article about, say, bangladesh, i need to know a) where it is, and b) a little about it. i used to think bangladesh was a part of india...my mind tries to picture on the map where it is and if i can't find it, the article doesn't sink in as well.

i also didn't know the extent to which britain and EU's infighting and politics is pretty funny yet so important to int'l trade and global development since the latter boarders russia & will be crucial to global energy politics in the near future.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What can you generally expect to gain from The Economist? Is it more of a learning tool or a magazine that you need to have a pretty good understanding of the market to grasp?

[/ QUOTE ]

it is a global political and economic review and discussion of the past week.

you may be turned off initially (to reading the entire thing) because of the post i just made.

it may be difficult to grasp all of the political inner workings of every country under discussion. but after a few issues, it starts to sink in that thailand is having this problem while the burmese are having that problem etc. then, the next time you read an article about that country, you have a deeper understanding and the article ends up both meaning more to you and sticking in your head.

so the economist delivers political and economic news and discussion from a global perspective.

you will be well informed to discuss many goings on in the world that you would NEVER be otherwise.

you are also offered the opportunity to glean trade ideas from it (see my trading posts...many of those ideas came right out of the economist. i just had to do some additional research and thought to put them into actionable trades).

therefore, i again, cannot stress enough how great this magazine is.

even if you currently know NOTHING, you can read the "Leaders" section and start to get a sense of what is going on in the world. you learn by reading so it is an important teaching tool to those who want to learn.

Barron
Old 07-30-2007, 12:15 PM

Default Post deleted by Mat Sklansky

Old 07-30-2007, 01:03 PM

Barron, I am rarely stunned, but that actually has stunned me. In a good sense, in that part of me wishes I did the same. I already wish I never had to sleep as I get annoyed by the lack of time in every day, so to fit in 6 hours or so a week or reading would be hard, but I think so worth it. To understand the current global climate from every continent, both politically and economically, would be great.