Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2007, 05:43 PM

Default Re: Wow, I suck...

I once moved up when i couldnt stand the level of 50nl anymore, where i started to lose more and more, then i crushed 100nl

you could try it out, if it doesnt work, move down
Old 06-19-2007, 05:46 PM

Well, at least the OP gets it. As for those of you who think moving up is a viable option, you don't get it. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" poker without reference to your opponents. Solid players from high levels can adjust to lower levels; and solid low levels players can adjust to the mistakes of their opponents to profit. The idea that the solution is to play against tougher competition "where they respect your raises" is a foolish one. Finding tougher opponents is never the answer to a downswing. Finding easier opponents might be.
Old 06-19-2007, 07:13 PM

"If you can change your game to play lower/higher limits with ease then stay at the lower limits until you build your role, then move up."
Just thought I would quote myself, as I feel as tho I am being attacked a bit by El_Hombre_Grande
Old 06-19-2007, 07:19 PM

dont worry no matter what u do u will never suck as badly as I do. that is all
Old 06-19-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, at least the OP gets it. As for those of you who think moving up is a viable option, you don't get it. There is no such thing as "good" or "bad" poker without reference to your opponents. Solid players from high levels can adjust to lower levels; and solid low levels players can adjust to the mistakes of their opponents to profit. The idea that the solution is to play against tougher competition "where they respect your raises" is a foolish one. Finding tougher opponents is never the answer to a downswing. Finding easier opponents might be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I can think of two reasons moving up might seem more profitable. Variance will be lower and if you tilt when you get sucked out on too many times, you will play better (until one of the "better" players notice you will tilt and they do it to you on purpose).

But then I play mostly live.
Old 06-20-2007, 07:54 PM

I think sometimes moving up for a little bit could be a good idea to get a bit of sharpness back into your game if you're stagnating at the limit you've been playing for a while.
Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 AM

Update:

Recently played some live small stakes NL. Players suck there. Yes, including me. Do NOT keep firing into a player who will call with Top pair, even when you're representing an overpair. Dammit.

Next day. Cleared my head and went back, keeping my focus on the other players. I trust my reads. Make the right laydowns (which are confirmed when they show me their hand cuz they're so proud of it), and trust my instincts to value bet the heck out of them on the river when I normally wouldn't against better players.

I still need to learn to focus, but I have the tools necessary to win at small stakes. I just need to use them correctly.
Old 07-05-2007, 04:28 PM

Update:

Maybe I don't suck as much as I thought:

link
Old 07-06-2007, 12:57 AM

You'll ride it out... Everyone that plays this game has gone though the exact same thing. AA loosing to KK/QQ/JJ when they hit their sets, Your AK loosing to two paired AQ or AJ, set over set, not hitting a set for xxxxxx hands.

The downside variance will pass and you'll start winning again. This is an unforgiving game that sometimes takes a toll on the psych...

I was running flat for a little while a month ago, but now I'm hitting all types of draws and hitting sets...
Old 07-06-2007, 01:58 AM

Apparently, I can't beat $10NL online. Should I quit? I'm thinking yes.