Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2007, 11:11 AM

Default Re: Musicians & Enthusiasts: What Music are you Practicing/Learning?

this is a good idea for a thread. yesterday i sat down and figured out the riff to prince's 'when you were mine'. fantastic song.
Old 05-10-2007, 11:21 AM

I just learned Love: Alone Again Or

It's a fun and easy song to play and sing on acoustic if anyone is interested:

Intro (fingerpicking) is D, then back and forth between Em+the 4th fret on the D string and F#m.

Verse/Chorus: F#m....G....F#m....Em..A..D..Bm..A..Bm..F#m..G.... A/G/A/G/A/G/(indiv. notesA/G/F#/E/D
Old 05-10-2007, 02:15 PM

No Rain by Blind Melon.

Have played for a long time but never progressed. I'd like to put more time into it.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Traveling with a guitar is difficult, so I bought a baritone ukulele to travel with. The four strings are the same as the 4 highest strings on a guitar so it's easy to adapt. It's actually bigger than I thought it would be and traveling with it is kind of a pain w/o a really large bag. Acoustic songs translate really well, but I also have some fun playing AC/DC, Rage Against the Machine, and Ram Jam on it.

[/ QUOTE ]
A soprano uke can be played with the same fingering as the top 4 guitar as well, you're just in a different key than you would be on the guitar. I think the transposition is up a fifth. Someone can look it up they really want to know.

A bari uke is the same size as an alto guitar, only it has 4 strings instead of 6.

Have you tried those backpacking guitars? I've seen ads for them but never heard one. From the looks of them, I bet they sound like crap.
Old 05-10-2007, 02:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A bari uke is the same size as an alto guitar, only it has 4 strings instead of 6.

[/ QUOTE ] When I ordered the uke, I didn't really look at the length of it (which was in cm and would have required some mental math) and just assumed the case would be small enough to tuck into my large suitcase, but it ended up being 6 or 8 inches too long. This was fine for a while because I would just check the ukulele case as my 2nd checked bag, but now that I'm lugging around my 24" monitor, I can't do that anymore. I need to find some gigantic piece of luggage or ditch the uke.

I like that it has 4 strings because 99% of the time, finger picking is a no-brainer. 1 string, 1 finger. I never played much classical or acoustic stuff, so finger picking was never my forte.
[ QUOTE ]
Have you tried those backpacking guitars? I've seen ads for them but never heard one. From the looks of them, I bet they sound like crap

[/ QUOTE ]
I played the Martin backpacker guitar shortly after it first came out and remember it sounding like crap. I paid about US $120 for my uke (it's acoustic-electric) so the sound obviously isn't amazing, but it's pretty decent. When I get settled in Bangkok, I want to pick up a small amp for it and see how it sounds with distortion [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 05-10-2007, 06:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I bought a ukelele last summer and have been printing off random tab charts for pop songs that I sing and play to my son (19 months old). He's particularly fond of YMCA and Oops, I Did It Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Jake Shimabukuro on youtube, he's THE guy on ukulele awesomeness

link
Old 05-10-2007, 06:17 PM

Sheep, Pink Floyd
Old 05-10-2007, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol u guys are nerds. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I am learning appassionata movent 3 by beethoven, liebestraume by liszt, and also trying to 'clean up' some old pieces i used to play for piano and i also just got started with this book by mark levine about learning jazz piano.

Playing random stuff on guitar.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its sick how much talent and skill it takes to play stuff like that, but people would rather listen to someone play mario bros.
Old 05-10-2007, 06:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I bought a ukelele last summer and have been printing off random tab charts for pop songs that I sing and play to my son (19 months old). He's particularly fond of YMCA and Oops, I Did It Again.

[/ QUOTE ]

check out Jake Shimabukuro on youtube, he's THE guy on ukulele awesomeness

link

[/ QUOTE ]
Already seen it. The weird thing is I know a guy here in MN with the same last name whose family is from Hawaii. I wonder if that's a common Hawaiian name or something.
Old 05-10-2007, 10:58 PM

This guy plays so cleanly, it's really easy learning these two songs, including the leads. I just finished learning the lead to The Rover, perfectly. I've finished the first half of the lead from Burn, probably take me a few more hours to learn the rest.

The Rover (Led Zeppelin)

Burn (Deep Purple)