Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-14-2007, 10:59 PM

Default Re: stupid thought

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably take this as a compliment or an insult depending upon how you look at it....

But for someone who seems like a decent guy at times, you sure come across as arrogant and condescending a lot. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, it just makes you look immature imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he got tired of explaining what has been explained thousands of times before?
Old 08-14-2007, 11:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frozenfear, its a decent theory and a viable reason why sites would rig their software. However, 90% of the people here will mock you the instant you mention anything being rigged. I've always thought that those types of people were as ignorant as the "OMG it must be rigged" type of people. The smart viewpoint imo is somewhere in between and willing to admit that anything is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Have you even thought it through? It seems you have... but try again please.

Stop and think about it from the perspective of the poker sites (you know, the poker sites you are claiming would want to rig the games, the ones responsible for the decision to rig or not to rig). Think about what is in their best interests. Then come back and apologize to all of us. Ty.

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]
The smart viewpoint imo is somewhere in between and willing to admit that anything is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is more relevant: Whether something is possible or whether something is likely? Again, think please.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am completely missing whatever your point it.

"Stop and think about it from the perspective of the poker sites Think about what is in their best interests."

Ok...their best interests would be to have poker continue to boom, fish go bust slowly, great players win as slowly as possible, and they continually get a ton of rake.

Why exactly does that disprove anything?

Keep in mind that i definitely don't think its rigged. I laugh at the "OMG its rigged" posters as much as any of you. The difference is that I also laugh at the "theres absolutely no way it could be rigged" posters as well.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
frozenfear, its a decent theory and a viable reason why sites would rig their software. However, 90% of the people here will mock you the instant you mention anything being rigged. I've always thought that those types of people were as ignorant as the "OMG it must be rigged" type of people. The smart viewpoint imo is somewhere in between and willing to admit that anything is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Stop and think about it from the perspective of the poker sites (you know, the poker sites you are claiming would want to rig the games, the ones responsible for the decision to rig or not to rig). Think about what is in their best interests. Then come back and apologize to all of us. Ty.

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]
The smart viewpoint imo is somewhere in between and willing to admit that anything is possible.

[/ QUOTE ]
Which is more relevant: Whether something is possible or whether something is likely? Again, think please.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Stop and think about it from the perspective of the poker sites Think about what is in their best interests."

Ok...their best interests would be to have poker continue to boom, fish go bust slowly, great players win as slowly as possible, and they continually get a ton of rake.

Keep in mind that i definitely don't think its rigged. I laugh at the "OMG its rigged" posters as much as any of you. The difference is that I also laugh at the "theres absolutely no way it could be rigged" posters as well.

[/ QUOTE ]
So you laugh at people for saying that something isn't possible just because technically it is possible (even if it's a .01% chance)? That seems kind of silly. You don't think the sites are rigged, yet "it's possible." Ok. I agree. It's very possible. There are certainly reasons the sites would want to do it. However, there are other reasons that are far more important to the sites succeeding financially, and seeing as how they are (probably? I know you don't like statements that aren't 100% guaranteed to be true... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) businesses interested in making money, we can reasonably conclude...

Edit: This feels like a waste of time. Guess I'll have to start just saying "nope" as well. lol
Old 08-14-2007, 11:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

You could probably take this as a compliment or an insult depending upon how you look at it....

But for someone who seems like a decent guy at times, you sure come across as arrogant and condescending a lot. Regardless of whether you're right or wrong, it just makes you look immature imo.

[/ QUOTE ]
Maybe he got tired of explaining what has been explained thousands of times before?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a ton of his posts before, including posts where he calls people idiots simply because he disagrees with them. And regardless of whether or not its been explained before, when a relatively new poster with just 27 posts asks a question, we as a community should at least treat him decently. Theres a nice way to tell someone that his question has been addressed before and to please use the search function. If he were just another poster I wouldn't mind, but I think a mod should be held to a higher standard.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:07 PM

The thought of rigging poker in the way the OP has suggested is far too difficult to program. How does it balance between two people who have a higher chance of winning at the table with four who have a lower chance. And even as such, it doesn't matter because hands don't play themselves out just as a programmer would want them to. Therefore, those on a "heater" would largely not get the benefit of being on that artificial advantage.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I've seen a ton of his posts before, including posts where he calls people idiots simply because he disagrees with them. And regardless of whether or not its been explained before, when a relatively new poster with just 27 posts asks a question, we as a community should at least treat him decently. Theres a nice way to tell someone that his question has been addressed before and to please use the search function. If he were just another poster I wouldn't mind, but I think a mod should be held to a higher standard.

[/ QUOTE ]
You're actually right about this - we shouldn't just say "nope." I was just suggesting it might get a little tiring when some people refuse to be logical and think it through.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
So you laugh at people for saying that something isn't possible just because technically it is possible (even if it's a .01% chance)? That seems kind of silly. You don't think the sites are rigged, yet "it's possible." Ok. I agree. It's very possible. There are certainly reasons the sites would want to do it. However, there are other reasons that are far more important to the sites succeeding financially, and seeing as how they are (probably? I know you don't like statements that aren't 100% guaranteed to be true... [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] ) businesses interested in making money, we can reasonably conclude...

Edit: This feels like a waste of time. Guess I'll have to start just saying "nope" as well. lol

[/ QUOTE ]

By "possible" I don't mean 1/1000000000000000. I mean 1/100.

Say that a website could tweak some percentage by just 1% or so- a number low enough that even after a big sample size we would just chalk it up to standard variance if we saw the stats. Say that this website could earn a few million dollars more each year from this. Do you honestly not think that many people would be immoral enough to look into a way to get away with it. I have to think that if they spent a few hundred thousand that they could come up with a way to totally hide this from the public.

I do this for a living, so I take this kind of thing seriously. I'm never going to just turn a blind eye and dismiss the possibility. With that said, you'll never hear me cry that it must be rigged since i can't win there or that it must be rigged since I've had x number of bad beats in the past few days....I fully realize how foolish those posts look, and I hope you're not lumping me in with those posters.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:20 PM

OP's idea is not a new one.

I had different guys on the 2005 Party Poker cruise pretty much telling me the same thing.
But theirs was more, "So you've been winning lately. Well, you better watch out because they don't want you to win too much."
or
"the reason you're winning is because you're a high-volume player and they want you to keep contributing the rake."

One guy basically told me that the site was going to set it up so that would keep winning AND that I would start losing for the exact same reason.

The two guys kept babbling about whatever beats they took in various games and how unrealistic the cards are compared to live.
One guy said that he had decided to quit playing Party forever because it was obvious they had set things up against him and it just ticked him off.
This was his 3rd time qualifying for the PPM cruise.
I go tthe feeling that this wasn't the first time that he got sick of the rigged cards and declared that he was quitting the site forever.

Conclusion: Some people are kind of dumb and denial is a really fascinating concept.
Old 08-14-2007, 11:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
nope

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

yep
Old 08-14-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
lol

Edit:

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

By "possible" I don't mean 1/1000000000000000. I mean 1/100.

Say that a website could tweak some percentage by just 1% or so- a number low enough that even after a big sample size we would just chalk it up to standard variance if we saw the stats. Say that this website could earn a few million dollars more each year from this. Do you honestly not think that many people would be immoral enough to look into a way to get away with it. I have to think that if they spent a few hundred thousand that they could come up with a way to totally hide this from the public.

I do this for a living, so I take this kind of thing seriously. I'm never going to just turn a blind eye and dismiss the possibility. With that said, you'll never hear me cry that it must be rigged since i can't win there or that it must be rigged since I've had x number of bad beats in the past few days....I fully realize how foolish those posts look, and I hope you're not lumping me in with those posters.

[/ QUOTE ]
First of all, I know you are no fool and I apologize if I said anything offensive.

I assure you that I do not believe the major poker sites are not rigged because they want to avoid being immoral, lol.

This has all been explained before, by people more qualified than me, so I'm going to shut my mouth now and get back to playing.

GL