Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 06:20 PM

Default 28 weeks later

Non-spoilers

The first half of 28 days later was close to zombie movie perfection, while the 2nd half ended up quite silly but still well directed.

28 weeks later I thought had lots of sloppy writing (idiotic devices to move the plot forward) and directing(extended shaky cam sequences) throughout the movie. Still a cool premise though. C/C+.
Old 05-15-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Summer \'07 movie reviews/discussion (SPOILERS)

[ QUOTE ]

Exactly. I'm not familiar with the comic book story, but I would really liked to have seen more of this character and think a Spider-Man v Venom central plot could have been plenty for a very solid movie.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sam Raimi is an old-school Spider-Man fan, and as such, FAR prefers the classic lineup of villains. He wanted 3 villains for this film (Harry, Sandman, and another), and was actually going to go with Ben Kingsley as The Vulture (which would have been awesome, btw). Instead, the studio basically pushed Venom on him, so he caved to the pressure. IMO, the Venom character isn't really that interesting, since he's basically just an evil Spider-Man. But there's no way it should have been introduced and discarded in like 20 minutes.

But when you talk about teases and no payoff, Peter's college professor has been in all 3 films, and he his character is yet another classic Spidey villain, and yet he gets no screentime.
Old 05-16-2007, 03:38 PM

I hated topher grace's performance as venom. not really what i expected either (and i am/was a huge comic book fan).
Old 05-16-2007, 04:29 PM

Spiderman 3 was awful.

The first two were entertaining for me, the third one was just embarrassing.

The Sandman creature was just a terrible villian IMO. I heard from a friend that was familiar with watching it on TV and with the comic books, Venom was a really cool creature and they missed a lot of time with him, a lot of details, a lot of background, etc. (and he did seem underdevloped). In addition to that, the social life stuff was just beyond unrealistic and stupid. When he's acting like a douchebag, I just didn't even want to watch, it was all beyond retarded, even for a movie based on a man that becomes part spider.

-----------------------------------------------------------

In other news, I'm stoked about the new Bourne and O13.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:34 PM

ae,

I am also pumped about both of those, even though O13 will suck.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ae,

I am also pumped about both of those, even though O13 will suck.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree. Altohugh O11 was classic, and O12 was poopoo, I think the reason O12 was much worse (correct me if I dont remember) was b/c it took place away from Vegas. Somewhere in Europe yes?

The series belongs in Vegas. And judging form trailers, it will be in Vegas.

Obv my expectations aren't high coming into this, but I think the movie will not be as disappointing as 012.

Bourn Identity 3 will be off the hook, just like the rest of the series. I am confident that the makers of this film will deliver.
Old 05-16-2007, 05:12 PM

spiderman 3 was pretty meh. it dragged on for eons and just didnt deliver any entertaining moments to me. it was too cheesey. diablo hit this one on the nose

28 weeks later. let me preface this by saying that i never viewed 28 days later, so i had no idea what was going on, and have never enjoyed horror/zombie movies. i really enjoyed 28 weeks later though. it wasnt at all what i expected, and it had me on the edge of my seat throughout, though the end left a bit to be desired imo.

definitely looking forward to 013, bourne3, and pirates.
Old 05-16-2007, 08:36 PM

I'm not looking forward to pirates much, even though I will definitely see it. The second one did absolutely nothing for me.

El D, why do you think O13 will suck? I'm pretty sure it has one, if not the, best cast ever assembled. FWIW, I definitely enjoyed O12, though not as much as the first one.
Old 05-16-2007, 09:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
spiderman 3 was pretty meh. it dragged on for eons and just didnt deliver any entertaining moments to me.

definitely looking forward to ...pirates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Let me get this straight, raptor -- a complex, intricate character study with a wealth of comic sequences and amazing special effects "dragged on for eons" and wasn't "entertaining" to you. But you're actually looking forward to a 2-hour, 50-minute epic-length soggy blockbuster based on a theme park ride.

Talk about dragging on -- 3 hours of Orlando Bloom swaying back and forth is not nearly as appealing to me.
Old 05-16-2007, 10:27 PM

I just watched Spiderman 3. I am kind of late on this and had heard many bantering of S3, so i was not as excited as i was before the movie came out (being a weak person that's easily persuaded by the general public). I got to say, I enjoyed the movie a lot. I agree the number of villains were one too many. Taking out Sandman and add the screen time for Topher and Venom would be totally awesome. Yea, this is 3rd grade material on many facets. But IMO this is exactly the break every movie watcher needs from the artsy indies and smart twist at the end movies.

And is it just me or I think Tobey is a really underrated actor?

Oh, I am looking forward to O13 and P3 as well, but have low expectation for O13 and great interest in P3. Even though O13 has a great cast, in O12 they didn't spend enough time developing the characters and letting me buy into the whole fox vs the gang thing. Also, O11 was just so entertaining that it is extremely hard to get the same feeling again.

I generally don't like watching sequels because they're mostly downers but Spiderman 3 imo has set the bar pretty high for the rest of the gang (Shrek, O13, Pirates) this summer. I don't think any of these will break Spiderman 3 (even though I stayed in the line for 3 hours for P2). The best sequels coming up (not in the summer 07 [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]) are Dark Knight and Bourne Ultimatum.
Closed Thread