Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-13-2007, 04:22 PM

Default Re: less known dog breeds

also sorry min pins are not less known, but whatever.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a fox as a pet? I probably got the idea from OOT but the more I think about it, the more awesome it seems. Anyone know enough about foxes to comment as to their petworthiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont get a fox, get this (my dog)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shiba Inu, japanese dog

[/ QUOTE ]

My new desktop background. Great pic sir.

FYC
Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

<u>SO</u> beautiful. They are like silver shadows walking around, I always stop to stare.

How about a greyhound rescue dog?
Old 02-13-2007, 04:29 PM

Newfoundlands are very good dogs. They are very big. Here is a picture of one of mine (1/2 nefoundland 1/2 lab) at 6 months old. They are also very friendly.

Old 02-13-2007, 04:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've also got a bit of a thing for german shorthaired pointers, but I'm not sure they're the best pets (although Wikipedia claims they're good family dogs, so maybe they are good pets).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a GSP. He's excellent around my niece's and nephew. They do need a lot of exercise or they'll become hyper. Also, the males are stubborn. While he's very attentive and takes to commands well, he'll sometimes ignore commands when he has his attention focused elsewhere. The females are much less stubborn.

The only real complaint I have is that they shed a lot.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a fox as a pet? I probably got the idea from OOT but the more I think about it, the more awesome it seems. Anyone know enough about foxes to comment as to their petworthiness?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont get a fox, get this (my dog)

[/ QUOTE ]

Shiba Inu, japanese dog

[/ QUOTE ]

My new desktop background. Great pic sir.

FYC

[/ QUOTE ]

higher res version (it was actually taken by a profesional photographer, hes a family friend and did some project w/animals or something so he took pics of our dog)

900x675
Old 02-13-2007, 04:33 PM

Also Dalmations are great dogs. Very good with kids and other dogs and very intelligent. The downside to Dalmations in my experience is their extreme energy level. They require an obscene amount of exercise and even with that are still a bit rambunctious.
Old 02-13-2007, 04:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boxers &gt; all, of course, but they're not really all that rare. Rhodesian ridgebacks are pretty badass and, while not extremely rare, are not all that common. Similarly, I also like weimaraners quite a bit. I've also got a bit of a thing for german shorthaired pointers, but I'm not sure they're the best pets (although Wikipedia claims they're good family dogs, so maybe they are good pets).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have 2 GSP's, they absolutely make great pets. GSP/Weimeraner/Vizsla are all mostly cut from the same cloth, they can be a handful if you don't know what to expect, but if you want an active and social dog any of the 3 would be a good choice. I wholeheartedly disagree with the ridgeback suggestion, they are much more likely to not be social and to have personality issues than any of the other breeds mentioned. Another choice is the ACD/Blue Heeler.

Edit - I also disagree with a dalmatian based on your criteria, again much more likely than the other breeds to be territorial and have other personality issues.

Here is one of my GSP's:

Old 02-13-2007, 04:40 PM

My friend used to have a Bernese Mountain Dog:

They are extremely smart, friendly, and loyal. Don't get one if you live in a really hot climate, though.

edit for spelling nit [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 02-13-2007, 04:43 PM

That Swiss Mountain Dog looks pretty cool.
I see PDPG already suggested Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I see a lot of these, but I think their owners are fond of the particular dog park I go to. I had never seen one before moving to Austin.
Similar to Weims are Vizslas.

I had one growing up, great dog, very intelligent, loving and friendly. I usually see one of these at the dog park, and from talking to owners it sounds like there were recently introduced to Austin, and were rare here in the past. My friend also just got a Silver Weim, which I have only seen once before, she's a beautiful puppy.