Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-27-2007, 05:25 PM

Default Re: Great orators

I'm not aware of any specific speech and he was far before our time, but Henry Clay's nickname was "The Great Orator".

From his wiki:

"In public he was of magnificent bearing, possessing the true oratorical temperament, the nervous exaltation that makes the orator feel and appear a superior being, transfusing his thought, passion and will into the mind and heart of the listener; but his imagination frequently ran away with his understanding, while his imperious temper and ardent combativeness hurried him and his party into disadvantageous positions. The ease, also, with which he outshone men of vastly greater learning lured him from the task of intense and arduous study. His speeches were characterized by skill of statement, ingenious grouping of facts, fervent diction, and ardent patriotism; sometimes by biting sarcasm, but also by superficial research, half-knowledge and an unwillingness to reason a proposition to its logical results."
Old 09-27-2007, 06:07 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2Qk...ed&search=

never seen this before, clinton speech he gave at harvard. i enjoyed it
Old 09-27-2007, 06:24 PM

I heard Jesse Jackson speak in the 80s when he was running for president. It was in New Orleans. I had tagged along with my mom to a conference. It was really quite amazing how he worked the crowd up. People were sitting on the edge of their seats and he had people calling out and raising their hands in the crowd. I don't remember what he said, but I remember the feeling he gave--like anything was possible. Also, I remember how just when he had worked people up and gotten them euphoric; people came along with baskets exactly like those you would pass out at church. He was asking for donations to his campaign. I remember thinking he was a great orator and also very sly. I think he could have talked that group into just about anything. People were fumbling all over the place for their wallets.

I've heard Maya Angelou speak in person twice. The first time she was electric. It was around the time she was selected by Bill Clinton to recite at his inauguration. The house was packed, standing room only. She left everyone awed. The second time was more recently. She was also impressive, but the venue was larger and more impersonal.
Old 09-27-2007, 06:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XX2Qk...ed&search=

never seen this before, clinton speech he gave at harvard. i enjoyed it

[/ QUOTE ]
Clinton is inscrutable to me. I used to love him; I remember seeing him on tv in '91 as a kid and instantly feeling drawn to his charisma. But lately I'm always troubled while watching him, because I cannot tell how much is serious or not, whether he really believes anything he says. And if not, if he's insincere, what level he's on. Behind the oratory, he could be Frank Abagnale or he could be David Brent; I just can't tell. And yet I still want to like him, because that's his skill (and that's what this thread is about).
Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 PM

I'm a fan of Eisenhower's speech. Here he discusses the three imperatives of peace, but many of his speeches are excellent. Such a speaker that it makes me want to move to the US and become a Republican.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:16 PM

While not an orator per se, William F Buckley is an engaging speaker/debater, not necessarily for his content but because of his style. I am amazed at his command of the English language, find his weird accent and speaking pace interesting and sometimes unnerving, yet I often [censored] lose track of what the [censored] he's talking about... I don't think I'm smart enough to hold a conversation with him... about anything.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:04 PM

how has churchill not been mentioned yet? yeti, aren't you from england? tsk tsk. a couple of my favorites are "we shall fight on the beaches" and "their finest hour"; really stirring stuff.
Old 09-27-2007, 11:09 PM

Lou Gehrig's "Luckiest man on the face of the earth" speech when he retired at Yankee Stadium. The man was basically handed a death sentence and he handled the situation with amazing grace and dignity.
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 AM

cicero
Old 09-28-2007, 01:53 AM

adolf