Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Computer Technical Help
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 10:29 PM

Default Re: Killer new rig w/ 30\" Gateway...need 2 more 20\" monitors. Suggesti

Felix,

I can only comment on the Samsung 204b - of which I have two courtesy of Stars. Currently in landscape, flanking a 24" Dell - which I intend to replace with a 30" once I get me another 10K FPPS, so this topic interested me enough to rotate my 204b's for a test. I presume these are TN panels.

Viewing angle is certainly a concern.

From my limited experiments, it seems there is much less of an issue on the left panel than there is on the right.

That is, when viewed from the "bottom" (the right panel) it went very dark - I had to turn this one ~25 degrees towards me to regain correct colour.

Viewed from the "top" (the left panel) - no such issue - it maintained correct colour when parallel with the middle screen, no adjustment required. It could also be turned inward to match the right panel with no issue.

Only when viewing from "underneath" was the vertical viewing able a problem on the Samsung 204B.

If you are investing in a Fixed stand to mount the 3 screens, this will of course not be an issue. It may also not matter if one can remove / refit the panel "upside down" on it's stand for the right screen.

Either way, I have no hesitation running these two 204b panels in portrait mode once I get me a 30" - I will turn it towards the center or re-mount it on the stand as need be [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Hope that helps,

dave.

EDIT: Fixed many typos [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 10:34 PM

Default Re: Killer new rig w/ 30\" Gateway...need 2 more 20\" monitors. Suggesti

Also Felix,

I'd consider dropping the 7900GT for something less power-hungry, like an 8500 or something. You obv. will not be needing it for gameplay, and it may make your machine quieter / cooler / less strain on the PSU.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:40 PM

i'm a big fan of used monitors. i have a bundle and they are all great.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Thanks dave...I appreciate the test on the monitors [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

TN panels are notorious for being VERY bad for portrait mode, but never saw it first hand. Thanks for that.

And as for the 7900GT...I'm cannibalizing it out of this rig, so it's free (or a sunk cost, if you prefer), so I'll stick with it, but good point. Had I not already had it, I'd take your advice.

And Josem, thanks...the >$500 price for both seems pretty good to me, so I think I will pull the trigger on those. Can't wait to get the rest of the rig and take pice for you guys [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]

TN panels are notorious for being VERY bad for portrait mode, but never saw it first hand. Thanks for that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the thing I was trying to explain - but probably didn't very well [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

While the 204b went from perfect to horrific in only a few degrees of movement - it only did so in one of the four planes. So unless you are stuck using the retail stands (and they cannot be re-mounted upside down) it is a non-issue on this particular TN panel.

What technology is a Dell 2001FP?
Old 10-07-2007, 11:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
'd consider dropping the 7900GT for something less power-hungry, like an 8500 or something. You obv. will not be needing it for gameplay, and it may make your machine quieter / cooler / less strain on the PSU.

[/ QUOTE ]

I Once was blind but now i See. I have been following Felix's thread on AT and I am in the same boat. I am getting a 30 this month + 2 20s, and building a whole new system. i was unclear what kind of videocard setup I should be going with to run these 3 monitors. I guess I will need 2 video cards, what do you recommend? obv I will be playing some games, but will only be playing fps's on the 30.

TIA
Old 10-07-2007, 11:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I guess I will need 2 video cards, what do you recommend? obv I will be playing some games, but will only be playing fps's on the 30.

[/ QUOTE ]

One of the best cards you can get for driving the games on the 30", and the cheapest you can find (with DVI) for running the third monitor [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Unless playing the FPS games is very important - in which case two of the best in SLI to drive the 30" - then switching the BIOS / physical mobo switch when you want to run all three.

Something like an NVidia 8800GTX + 8500 (8400 even, I'm not sure these are available without turbocache), or a pair of 8800GTX
Old 10-07-2007, 11:44 PM

honestly, if you're spending a large fortune on a 30" monitor and two 20" monitors, I doubt that money is likely to be very tight.

so, get yourself a decent, high end video card that can take full advantage of your awesome displays.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless playing the FPS games is very important - in which case two of the best in SLI to drive the 30" - then switching the BIOS / physical mobo switch when you want to run all three.

[/ QUOTE ]

Switching in and out of SLI is very easy. I do it pretty much every day. You can do it through software now without touching the bios.

And I believe you need two identical video cards to take advantage of SLI. Also, you will need top of the line cards to run an FPS at 2560x1600.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:50 AM

dave, I understand now. I'm debating going with an aftermarket stand (one that I can mount all 3 displays on), but either way, I am really considering those 2001FP's. If nothing else, I know they are solid S-IPS panels and again, they are just for everyday use, NOT gaming, so as long as they're readable etc. I'll be fine w/ them.

Thanks again.

HonestRyan, I'd seriously consider getting an 8800GTX to drive your 30" monitor and then, seriously, any ole thing for a 2nd video card that has DUAL-DVI. Since you'll be doing the same as me, the 2nd card doesn't need to be much of anything...something cheap that has dual-dvi is all you need to run both the smaller monitors. You can't run SLI using 3 monitors, so don't bother "wasting" the money on the 2nd video card.

Keep in mind that most mobo's (including the new P35 chipset) don't support true SLI...the 2nd PCI Express slot is usually x4, not x16 and again, since it's not going to be used for gaming, it doesn't need to be. hence why I chose the IBIT IP35 pro. Hope that helps.