Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2007, 01:24 PM

Default Re: Feeling bad about terrible friends

[ QUOTE ]
Teaching your friends how to play is a bad idea IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about teaching people who WANT to learn, as opposed to those who might be insulted by your somewhat-altruistic offer?
Old 09-06-2007, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I should mention that this was going on while he was jobless and had a preggers wife, so I definitely felt bad. (I've known his wife since high school and I kind of got them together.)

[/ QUOTE ]

your friend might need a friend-bitchslapping, but I'd want to be really sure it was causing painful problems, rather than minor difficulties.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

How about teaching people who WANT to learn, as opposed to those who might be insulted by your somewhat-altruistic offer?

[/ QUOTE ]

You gave 2 options, I'll make it 4:

1- those who might be insulted by your altruistic offer
2- those who might actually play better with a few quick tips, even though you they don't necessarily care and you don't necessarily want them to
3- those who think they want to learn, but only want quick, silver bullet answers
4- those who really want to learn and are willing to take the time

1 is bad, 2 is a non-starter, 3 is basically impossible because even the simplest concept might take 10 minutes of set up and I won't do that in an informal poker setting, and that leaves 4. That means I have to have time to sit down over lunch or at a blackboard at work with a half hour to kill several times over a period of several weeks.

I'm MORE than happy to do #4. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I enjoy it and I'd love to see the person improve. It's only happened to me one time though. The VAST majority of players who play poker just want to have fun. Really learning the intricacies of poker isn't fun except to geeks like you and me.
Old 09-06-2007, 03:16 PM

Location: cook me on your grill and feed me to your neighbors

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(idiotic babble not repeated)

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't read any of your other forum posts, from your week-long stint on 2+2, but you're getting off to a less than stellar start here in HP

[/ QUOTE ]

dont be mad just because I struck a nerve with the "hick" comment
and [censored] I sure hope I'm developing a good reputation in home poker, this is such a serious forum

ps facial abuse is sweet tho, isnt it...slightly hotter/younger girls and it would be worth the $
Old 09-06-2007, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I run a small .25/.5 cash game every week and lately have been getting a few new players. I've known these kids and have played with them before and they're MOSTLY all terrible. One of my friends is so bad that I almost feel terrible playing with him.

We played yesterday and he probably blew over $100 when most of us bought in for 20-30 to start.

I guess if he has the dough to lose whatever, but I also dont want him to not come back after taking a couple hits.

I was almost praying he would catch something so he'd stay as it was fairly short handed.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do not have the heart of a poker player! True gamblers (as opposed to winning poker players) actually seek to infflict pain on themselves for many psychological reasons. If these type of people don't lose money to you they will lose it somewhere else. If your friend has half a brain after a few losses he will seek to "get it" and he will learn the same way you did.
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 PM

i actually had a student of mine come up to me after school today, and ask me to teach him how to play better...him and his friends play .05/.10 on the weekends, and he overheard me talking about it...

i told him i would, as long as he helps me out in his adhd classroom...probably just a tip or two a day, 3-4 minutes' worth...

just reminded me of this situation..
Old 09-06-2007, 10:10 PM

The friend in question was clearly depressed in some way. Although when he called during the game a couple of weeks ago, he might've felt hurt as well.

The other down side was having to drive him home since he was drunk.
Old 09-07-2007, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have brought a few friends into my home game that have repeatedly expressed a desire to play. But they always hear me say several times before they get invited that this is not a game to learn at, unless you can loose 2-4 buy-ins ($40-$100)a night for a while. And since they probably could not lose more than that (although some have), I feel they should come at least mentally prepared to see their wallet empty at the end of the night.

Sometimes they do fine. But if they lose it all, I'll talk to them about it if they want. For one or two more sessions I'll offer some advice. But if they come for the 4th or 5th time, and are still losing money.... I just let them decide how they want to get better at the game.

Then again, I've only brought a handful of folks to my game. Only one is still there. No one I brought is mad at me and only one of the regulars is mad. He got sucked out on twice (for big pots) by someone I brought, and that person never came again. Oh well. Sometimes the fish bite back.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The other down side was having to drive him home since he was drunk.

[/ QUOTE ]

You should have NEVER allowed that (if you were the host).

Even if you don't care enough about your friend, YOUR ass could be in a sling if something happens, under many state liquor laws.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You should have NEVER allowed that (if you were the host).

Even if you don't care enough about your friend...

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention the person your friend might kill, especially if you happen to care about THAT person.

We had this issue at a game the other week. The more someone's been drinking, the more adament they seem to become that they're OK to drive, and the more pissed off they get that you're insulting them by telling them they're not capable. It's a real pain in the butt for everyone to deal with.