Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Deep Stack NL Hold\'em Theory

Actually I was speaking of a few specific examples. Sorry that I was not clear about that. I will play the hand when raised only if I have a comfortable stack of chips.
In tournament play, if the raiser is short, he will push the last of his chips when the flop brings 3-3 or 5-5, or even 3-5-x.

I was not trying to say that it is a hand that I want to run hot and cold.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:54 PM

IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF IMPLIED ODDS. Sure, implied odds increase the value of hands like 53s, but they don't make them winners. No matter how deep the stacks are, T9s will always lose to AK. People who play these hands think they have an edge against the rest of table. Daniel Negreanu said he played 90% of his hands against the fish at the WSOP. But in his last blog, he said he really tightened up on HSP III because his opposition was so tough.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:14 PM

It's because they play deeper than the average online game and the fact that the pot starts off with a lot more money in it than a standard cash game due to the ante.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
IT'S NOT BECAUSE OF IMPLIED ODDS. Sure, implied odds increase the value of hands like 53s, but they don't make them winners. No matter how deep the stacks are, T9s will always lose to AK. People who play these hands think they have an edge against the rest of table. Daniel Negreanu said he played 90% of his hands against the fish at the WSOP. But in his last blog, he said he really tightened up on HSP III because his opposition was so tough.

[/ QUOTE ]

Uh dude, that is implied odds. Your implied odds are better against weaker opposition, because they're more likely to pay you off when you hit a monster.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No matter how deep the stacks are, T9s will always lose to AK.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong. If you get 1/20th of your stack in as a 2:1 dog, but then get your opponent to put 19/20ths of his stack in as 4:1 dog or worse, then you win. It's all about trading small mistakes for large mistakes. Making a small mistake against your opponent if he in turn will make a huge mistake against you later in the hand is how you win money in deep stacked cash games.
Old 10-20-2006, 04:17 PM

There's a $100 ante in that game, too, which is a huge factor in making more hands playable. The initial pot is bigger, related to the big blind, so you're getting significantly better odds both to steal (unlikely at this table, but still) and to limp and/or call small raises.