Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Default Re: You make the call

[ QUOTE ]
2/3 $100 buyin at the bike. 4 players in the pot preflop with multiple raises finally capped by 3 of them going all in. Waiting for seat 7 to decide whether or not to call when seat 6 slides her cards across the table to seat 9 - who's not in the hand - for him to look at her cards. Seat 7 objects and asks for a floorman for a ruling.

**Note: seat 6 and 7 have the larger stacks and would have a side pot. The other 2 all in's have much smaller stacks.**

Now....you make the call. Floor rule to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dealer should grab seat 6's hand and muck it, since she was sliding it forward in the general direction of the muck (especially if this is a 9 handed table). Warn seat 6 to protect her hand in the future.
Old 08-25-2006, 01:46 PM

Players passing cards to each
other doesn't sound right to me.

I don't allow it if I'm dealing.
Old 08-25-2006, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dealer should grab seat 6's hand and muck it, since she was sliding it forward in the general direction of the muck (especially if this is a 9 handed table). Warn seat 6 to protect her hand in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat 6's hand should not be mucked by the dealer. Seat 6 is already in for all action so her hand deserves protection.

An example of a time to potentially call a floor and perhaps have a hand called dead is when a player facing a bet does something to indicate that they are "discarding their hand". Unfortunately the LA rules are somewhat poorly written and open to interpretation in this area.

For example (excerpts from a rulebook that s/b identical to the Bike's):

5. Your hand is declared dead if:
c. You throw your hand away in a forward motion causing another player to act behind you.
e. In stud, you turn your upcards facedown or mix your upcards and downcards together when facing a bet, and by doing so, create action.

In c. above most working floors do not have a common (i.e. unified) understanding of what "causing another player to act behind you" or "create action" means. For example, in a heads up pot on the river you are facing a bet and throw your hand forward a few inches. Your opponent remains still but you believe you see a sigh of relief and think he is bluffing. Should you be able to pull your hand back and now call? The e. rule causes similar misunderstandings.

42. If you throw your cards facedown with a forward motion, you indicate you are passing and risk losing the pot.

IMO this rule needs to be clarified to include the words "when the action is on you" or something more refined. If action is complete, you should never be penalized for retrieving a hand thrown forward that is discernible. I also think this rule should be expanded to include turning cards face up when facing a bet. This is common in NL, but the turning is often accompanied by "a little bit" of forward motion, so it can work as an angle and arguments follow.

~ Rick
Old 08-25-2006, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
wow live players are nits.

[/ QUOTE ]

elaboration please?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

elaboration please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read some of the advice in this thread. "Muck the hand?"

wtf
Old 08-25-2006, 05:37 PM

Default The Decision

Almost all of you got it right. The Floor was called and he gave seat 6 a warning and told seat 7 to make a decision..call or fold.

As an FYI, almost all the rest of us at the table were berating seat 7 for his obvious angle shooting and we told him this is what the floor would rule.

Nice going everyone.
Old 08-25-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Seat 6's hand should not be mucked by the dealer. Seat 6 is already in for all action so her hand deserves protection.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was being somewhat facetious, although I don't think it would be a bad thing for the dealer to grab the cards and ask seat 6 if she is folding. For some reason, this card sharing thing always rubs me the wrong way. Kind of like rabbit hunting. Just play poker and talk about your bad beats / great plays later. WTF is she trying to accomplish by sharing her hand before the action is even complete? Nothing good can come of this and she should be discouraged from doing this in the future.

I guess I am a nit.
Old 08-25-2006, 07:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As clarified above, she wouldn't have to show until after the entire hand is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vapor lock. TY.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 PM

I'd say seat 7 should be happy. This is usually an indication of a strong hand a lower limit games. He now has additional information to make his decision on.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

elaboration please?

[/ QUOTE ]

Read some of the advice in this thread. "Muck the hand?"

wtf

[/ QUOTE ]

that and who the hell cares if she shows her hand to someone. seat 7 is prob taking forever, she's bored, and wants something to do. 99% of the time this isnt an angle and only harms her. just stfu and play cards -- trying to get a "floor decision" here is so nitty, just call or fold.