Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 08:39 PM

Default Re: Tonite Ron Paul\'s Inflection Point?

Hit youtube

could have been worse, would have been better if they would have talked domestic policy.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=hYtgcZ9_61M
Old 09-10-2007, 08:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hit youtube

could have been worse, would have been better if they would have talked domestic policy.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit disappointed -- not a very inspired performance. He didn't exactly confront the point about "Iran's official, stated policy." He tried to make his own points, but of course those don't fit easily into a dramatic, five second sound bite.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hit youtube

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm a bit disappointed -- not a very inspired performance. He didn't exactly confront the point about "Iran's official, stated policy." He tried to make his own points, but of course those don't fit easily into a dramatic, five second sound bite.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, pretty much a non-event. By my score in direct, discrete answers 2 were debatable, one was a non-answer, one he tried to avoid answering and when he was pressed to ("Dont you fear Iran") he softened his position from a solid "no" to a "yes I worry about them.

In longer discussions he has his facts wrong about when Iran will likely have nuclear capabilities, he gives the same bad answer he gave in the debate about the cold war, not understanding the difference between MAD of states vs. nukes in the hands of terrorists. Then he slips back into blowback as the sole cause of terrorism (despite the very clear message from OBL that it isnt the sole cause), and slips into the Dem line that we "let OBL go" in Afghanistan.

No knockouts on either side, in a 10 point must system the decision goes to BO, 99-96 for 10 rounds.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 PM

O'Rielly says "We don't have time for a history lesson"...lol

Let's not start getting a bunch of silly facts involved in this discussion. Just stick to the ridiculous "Have you stopped beating your wife yet" questions.

He was really digging hard for that "I'm not afraid of Iran" quote. Which will come in real handy for the neocons if they can just find a way to get Iran to attack something. Of course, waiting on Iran is hardly necessary.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:07 PM

Bill-o, and other neocons, keep saying that if we discontinue our occupation in Iraq, Iran will seek nuclear weapons to kill us and Isreal. I don't understand why Iran cannot do this now. How is the U.S.'s occupation of Iraq preventing this?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 PM

O'Reilly: "We don't need a history lesson!"

(I just want to get you on record so I'll have a sound-byte that Fox can intentionally mis-interpret)

O'Reilly's the very best at talking loud.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Let's not start getting a bunch of silly facts involved in this discussion. Just stick to the ridiculous "Have you stopped beating your wife yet" questions.

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but in these kinds of TV argument sessions, you need to have an answer handy that simultaneously answers the unfair question and makes the other guy look like a jerk for asking it. Millions of vaguely-interested Fox viewers just had their "Ron who?" impressions reinforced.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hit youtube

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, pretty much a non-event. By my score in direct, discrete answers 2 were debatable, one was a non-answer, one he tried to avoid answering and when he was pressed to ("Dont you fear Iran") he softened his position from a solid "no" to a "yes I worry about them.

In longer discussions he has his facts wrong about when Iran will likely have nuclear capabilities, he gives the same bad answer he gave in the debate about the cold war, not understanding the difference between MAD of states vs. nukes in the hands of terrorists. Then he slips back into blowback as the sole cause of terrorism (despite the very clear message from OBL that it isnt the sole cause), and slips into the Dem line that we "let OBL go" in Afghanistan.

No knockouts on either side, in a 10 point must system the decision goes to BO, 99-96 for 10 rounds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that Bill-O has a point about the difference between MAD nuclear situations and small nation/potential terrorist possession of nuclear weapons. Whether or not our policies are exacerbating or assuaging the threat to our security that stems from this issue is another question, but I think Bill is right that they aren't analogous issues. Ron Paul could have done better in that segment.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I agree, but in these kinds of TV argument sessions, you need to have an answer handy that simultaneously answers the unfair question and makes the other guy look like a jerk for asking it. Millions of vaguely-interested Fox viewers just had their "Ron who?" impressions reinforced.

[/ QUOTE ]

Precisely why this country's going down.

People need an answer from a man who's running for the most powerful station in this country, and they need it before their pop tarts burn in the oven.

The only real solution to this problem is to have Jon Stewart run for president, lay the quick smack down on O'Reilly, Hannity, et al, and then surround himself with a cabinet that has a clue.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I watched the youtube version so it could have been cut off... but did O'Reilly ever mention that Ron Paul was a presidential candidate? I didn't notice him getting introduced at all.

*edit* figured it out, he does briefly in the beginning.