Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-22-2007, 05:22 AM

Default Re: which books would you give 10/10 ?

pot limit no limit poker pl reuben and caffione(sp?)
shut up and deal by Jesse may (non stategy)
Old 03-22-2007, 08:29 AM

Well I am only a limit player so I won't include NL books like the Harrington ones or Phils Little Green book even though I have read them and enjoyed them very much.

Small stakes hold em- The best book ever on limit hold em bar none.

Getting started in hold em- Best beginners book and even a great refresher course for advanced players.

Weighing the odds- One of the best limit books and probably very close to the best information about playing short handed available.

How good is your limit hold em- This book made me think about the game more than any other book I have ever read. Highly instructive. I got a lot out of this book but it is a very advanced book so for a beginner it would be a complete waste of time and like reading another language- it is only suitable for people with a very high level of understanding of limit hold em.

Winning Texas hold em by Matt Maroon- I love this book, especially the shorthanded chapter. I honestly can't figure out why it isn't more popular than it is. Sure there are some misprints and so on but the information contained within is just great. This would be the most underrated poker book of all.

Internet Texas hold em by Matthew Hilger- This is another very underrated book and is one of the best books on limit hold em you can get; probably number 2 after Small stakes. Reading this book alone would be enough to make you a winning player provided you could absorb it all.
Old 03-22-2007, 09:36 AM

The only poker books I would give a 10 to are SSHE and HOH 1 & 2. Although I would probably also give a 10 to Super/System if I was alive when it was first published.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:04 AM

Man, off the top of my head:
Weighing the Odds in Hold'em
7CSFAP (And a big GOD DAMNIT I CAN'T FIND MY COPY RIGHT NOW! on that one)
Improve Your Poker
Mathematics of Poker
Secrets of Pot Limit Omaha
Hold'em on the Come
TPFAP maybe (it has just been so long since I have read this)
Sklansky on Poker
Pot Limit and No Limit Poker
HOH I probably
Real Poker II
SSHE
Hi-Lo Split FAP
Inside the Poker Mind

There are probably some others. I don't think I ever finished Middle Limit Holdem, that would probably make it when I get around to finishing it.

I have read (or started and tossed) many many more poker books than listed, but I would consider the ones listed must read for a serious player who wants to develop all their games.

Edit - I have not read How Good is Your Limit Hold'em (yet), but that has gotten some good feedback (in other threads as well).
Old 03-22-2007, 11:22 AM

Anyone who is giving more than about 5 books 10/10 needs to recalibrate their rating scale.
Old 03-22-2007, 11:34 AM

ciaffone middle limit holdem (name??)
LGB
HOH 1 (including continuation bets from II, should be in I)
caro book of tells (for its time)
HEFAP
supersystem

i include 2 of the last 3 for their groundbreaking aspects.... ITH, SSHE and PL/NL (ciaffone) are close.
Old 03-22-2007, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Internet Texas hold em by Matthew Hilger- This is another very underrated book and is one of the best books on limit hold em you can get; probably number 2 after Small stakes. Reading this book alone would be enough to make you a winning player provided you could absorb it all.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. I don't give it a 10 (I don't really give any book a 10) because there's not a lot useful for "internet" poker in it (that part of the information is very sparse.) However, more than any other book I've ever read, it simply teaches you how to PLAY (limit) poker. SSH is good too, it's just that it's mostly irrelevant for today's internet games (many people disregard the game conditions he specifies). There are still live games that it is useful for.
Old 03-22-2007, 05:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

a few 9/10s too:

SSHE
HOH1

[/ QUOTE ]

Only 9/10 for these two?

For your insubordination, you will be tarred and feathered, and hung drawn and quartered at noon!
Old 03-22-2007, 06:47 PM

1. HEPFAP
2. TOP
3. Ace on the River
Old 03-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Hilgers book probably doesn't get the recognition it deserves because it wasn't published by 2+2. If it were it would be on everyones top five list.