Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2006, 02:31 PM

Default Re: Nashville - Any Suggestions?

If you are looking for good bars. You can go on either Second Avenue(more club oriented) or Demonbreun. Tin Roof and Dan McGuiness are my favorites(both are located on Demonbreun).

P.S. I'm impressed with your dedication because the Titans are going to roll them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2006, 02:49 PM

My opinion of Nashville's different areas:

2nd Ave. (downtown): As noted, this is a must if you are a tourist. Tons of good bars. Hit a honky-tonk if you want to be sure you experienced "real nashville". I prefer to get sloshed and sing Irish folk songs in Mulligan's. Also, parking here is usually a pain, while all other nashville areas have easy parking.

Elliston: A couple good music venues and more bars. Grab a copy of the Scene (local paper like every city has) and see if any shows interest you. If you are still out after the bars close, go to Cafe Coco, which is one of the very few 24/7 spots in Nashville.

Demonbreun (Music Row): Seems to be fading as of late. Dan McGuiness is still good.

Hillsboro Village: I'm a big fan. This is where I hang out like 80% of the time. Sam's is great for watching sports and Cabana is excellent for meeting hot chicks. The Village just has a pretty laid back atmosphere.

Five Points: This hasn't been mentioned yet. It is near the Titans stadium in what used to be (and many times still is) a bad part of town that is undergoing a revitialization. It is a lot like Hillsboro Village if you just replaced all the annoying Vandy kids with hippy burnouts. Probably a good place to check out before/after the Titans game.
Old 12-21-2006, 04:44 PM

Thanks guys, great information.

Grasshopper, I think you may be right about the Titans in that game. There's a good chance the Pats will be slotted into the #4 seed after this week, so we may be seeing Matt Cassell and the rest of the scrubs. The game is somewhat secondary to the road trip anyway though, so I don't mind that.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks guys, great information.

Grasshopper, I think you may be right about the Titans in that game. There's a good chance the Pats will be slotted into the #4 seed after this week, so we may be seeing Matt Cassell and the rest of the scrubs. The game is somewhat secondary to the road trip anyway though, so I don't mind that.

[/ QUOTE ]

FWIW, be sure to get into the stadium early. I went to Nashville for the Colts/Titans game Dec 3, and it took over 30 minutes from the time we got in line to enter the stadium to the time we were in our seats causing us to miss kickoff. For some reason the security line just took forever, and they really didn't even pat anyone down.

All in all, it was a great place to see a game. Lots of tailgating going on, and everyone is very friendly.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:04 PM

Nashville is money, I have been many times, just a warning though; some of the country bars can be scary to northerns, it took me a while to get use to but I had a great time... at least the parts that I remember were great.

oh, the sushi place "Ru Sans" is great, not that expensive, it also has some other types of foods to pick from besides sushi. "Monell's" that was linked in a previous post is also great southern food, it is a ton of food so be ready to eat a lot.
Old 12-21-2006, 05:17 PM

Ru Sans is excellent. Try Cabana in the Hillsboro village area. Also near Demonbreun there are a few cool bars on Division St.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:43 AM

We should seriously consider having a Nashville 2p2 event of some type. I'm always looking for an excuse to drink.
Old 12-22-2006, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We should seriously consider having a Nashville 2p2 event of some type. I'm always looking for an excuse to drink.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd be down; I didn't realize there were that many of us here.
Old 12-22-2006, 05:05 AM

I'll just reiterate my love of Tin Angel. That place is easily my favorite Nashville restaurant.

OP, other good stuff that wasn't in my PM to Nolan is:

Five points was a really good suggestion I hadn't thought of. There are some good bars all right there, and the crowd is definitely different than what you'll get on...

Demonbreun. Very early- to mid-20's crowd, almost all white kids. Most people like Tin Roof the most, at least when its got live music going, but there's a cover of $3 or something, while every other place on the block is free all the time. Anyways, every bar there has the exact same crowd, so you'll know pretty much right away whether you want to check them all out or boogie somewhere else, like...

Hillsboro Village. More of a mixed scene with the younger crowd and older. My favorite "dive" bar in Nashville is here, The Villager. Sams is also one of the best places to watch sports, particularly Vandy sports (lol, right?). There's a sports bar on Demonbreun that may be slightly better set up or have slightly more TVs, but it just feels so antiseptic to me compared to Sam's.

Also, a hidden gem/cheap beer combo: there's a little barbecue place called Hog Heaven on West End. You can't see it from the road. Its across the street from the Holiday Inn, and you have to turn down this little road running between Centennial Park and a McDonalds. It has great, great barbecue at good prices. Plus, the bar right next door has pitchers of Shiner Bock for $5.50!
Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My favorite "dive" bar in Nashville is here, The Villager.

[/ QUOTE ]
Love the Villager. Cheap beer and a great place to play darts. Be warned that you will smell like an ashtray after like five minutes in this place.

[ QUOTE ]
It has great, great barbecue at good prices. Plus, the bar right next door has pitchers of Shiner Bock for $5.50!

[/ QUOTE ]
Ahhh, Springwater. This is the dive bar of all dive bars. Cheap beer, always a terrible band playing very loudly, and it is apparently the only bar in which smoking dope is actually allowed.