Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-19-2007, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Books I\'ve read recently

Martin Van Buren - The Romantic Age of American Politics by John Niven

President and first real party leader
Old 01-19-2007, 02:32 PM

Oh by the way, I am reading <u>The Shadow of the Wind</u> right now, about halfway through it, and so far I would highly recommend it. It's a great translation from the original Spanish version. I am looking forward to finishing it and if it holds up to what I've seen so far, perhaps I will do a review.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:03 PM

do read his dark materials.

you won't be disappointed.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
do read his dark materials.

you won't be disappointed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry to hijack, but the movie of the first book is being made right now but apparently they've decided to remove any references to religion or god. That might be the stupidest thing ever.

The books are amazing, I can't see the films not sucking.
Old 01-19-2007, 04:55 PM

yeah, i fully expect the film to suck, but will watch it. they likely removed the religious stuff in order to simplify the process, though hollywood is going through a rah-rah-xtianity phase right now.
Old 01-19-2007, 09:01 PM

Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World This book was a completely fascinating look at the life of Genghis Khan and the Mongol Empire after his death. I was very impressed with this book.

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. True crime documentary about the murder of a family in Kansas in the 50s. Everyone knows about this one I guess, but I just wanted to say I thought it lived up to the hype.

A World Lit Only By Fire by William Manchester. A look at the early Renaissance. The middle part dragged, by the final part of the book is the story of Magellen's trip around the world which was quite interesting.

Flashman in the Great Game by George Macdonal Fraser. This is the fifth installment about Harry Flashman, the Victorian Era rogue. Great book, great series. Can't recommend them highly enough. My only warning would be that these are not for anyone who is easily offended. Flashy is a horrible sexist and racist, which was the style of the time...

Wolf of the Steppes by Harold Lamb. This is a collection of historical fiction about Khlit the Cossack. Harold Lamb is one of the most influential pulp writers of the 20th century, and was a hero of Robert E Howard. I found these stories to be well researched, but a little slow.

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed reading this, but it wasn't anything spectacular. Just an entertaining fairy tale.

I know I read a few more, but that is enough for now.
Old 01-21-2007, 01:56 AM

I recomend any Hiaasen
Old 01-21-2007, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A Mathematician's Apology The famous book by G.W Hardy, an early 1900s mathematician. He wrote an essay describing why it was good to be a mathematician. A lot of the things he writes come out as arrogant, but many things make a lot of sense and are in a way inspiring. I guess any mathematician should read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed this book and recommend it highly. I did not think the tone arrogant and think many should read it, not just mathematicians (I am not a mathematician by the way). The Forward by C.P. Snow is also very instructive and gives a good historical setting and some exemplifications of the eccentric Hardy. It is a short book and makes an enjoyable read.

-Zeno
Old 01-21-2007, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
A Mathematician's Apology The famous book by G.W Hardy, an early 1900s mathematician. He wrote an essay describing why it was good to be a mathematician. A lot of the things he writes come out as arrogant, but many things make a lot of sense and are in a way inspiring. I guess any mathematician should read it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I enjoyed this book and recommend it highly. I did not think the tone arrogant and think many should read it, not just mathematicians (I am not a mathematician by the way). The Forward by C.P. Snow is also very instructive and gives a good historical setting and some exemplifications of the eccentric Hardy. It is a short book and makes an enjoyable read.

-Zeno

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Forward was good.
In the book "The Man Who Knew Infinity" by Robert Knigel. They give about a 100 page biography of Hardy (the book is the biography of Ramanujan, but to understand Ramanujan you need to understand Hardy).
Hardy was a very interesting man and a magnificent mathematician. I was very interested in his anti war actions during WWI.

Very outspoken, honest man. If you haven't read "The Man Who Knew Infinity", take a peek at least at the chapters that talk about Hardy. The book is very good.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:10 PM

The Great Influenza

very interesting read about the flu epidemic of the early 20th century. The first part especially, about the state of medical science leading up to the epidemic was very interesting.

The Street Lawyer by John Grisham

standard Grisham stuff, bought it for a plane trip and it kept me engrossed, very suspenseful, yadda yadda.

Nothing Like it in the World by Stephen Ambrose

good book about the building of the transcontinental railroad. Kind of long, but if you're into history stuff it's a good read.

Limitations, Scott Turow

some kind of John Grisham ripoff that I picked up on a whim. Just read a Grisham book (any will do) instead.

The Tipping Point, by Malcolm Gladwell

Another good read from the author of Blink. I'm actually liking this one a bit more. I get the impression he just finds all of the most bizarre, unexpected, and interesting psychological/sociological studies and experiments, and tries to make some theme to wrap them up in. and it's fine by me.

Band of Brothers by Stephen Ambrose.
great book, I've watched the miniseries a dozen times or so and it's just as good. The miniseries tracks the book almost exactly (pretty much down to each chapter = one episode. Even if you've seen the miniseries it's worth reading.

Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides

Great story about the soldiers captured by the Japanese upon overtaking the Philippines during WWII, and the army rangers that rescued them.

I'm about to read some book called _A Short History of Nearly Everything_, it looks okay.