Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Student Life
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: Why do Universities and Colleges still use letter grades?

[ QUOTE ]
SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+
I thought this was fairly standard.

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have never heard of this. Where is this? In Syracuse, we have the following grading system:

>93 = A
93-90 = A-
89-87 = B+
86-83 = B

And it continues from there.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

[/ QUOTE ]

I really have never heard of this. Where is this? In Syracuse, we have the following grading system:

>93 = A
93-90 = A-
89-87 = B+
86-83 = B

And it continues from there.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is how it is at almost, if not, every school in the state of Illinois for post-secondary. I've been to 3 of them and that is how they all work...

However, UIUC used an actual +/- system for GPA...whereas the other two just give you a single letter....so a 3.0 could be made of all B- or all B+...pretty lame, but whatever.

I can't believe anyone would think that an 85 being an A is standard. That makes me think you're quite insular.
Old 12-11-2006, 01:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

How do you determine who the very best students are?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you need to? It's not a game where you need to keep score.

[ QUOTE ]

all the letter system really does is restrict the profs options.

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was teaching as a graduate assistant, I never felt constrained by using letter grades. If someone understood the material, they got an "A". If I was grading 2 very good exams, I wouldn't care which was better, and I certainly wouldn't want to have to figure out which was worth a point or two more than the other.

And I would absolutely not want to have to listen to students whining about getting a 93 when they felt that they deserved a 95. What difference does it make?

[ QUOTE ]

Well unless they switch over to letter grades in Grad school (and they don't)

[/ QUOTE ]

When I was in grad school, we got letter grades for our classes and the comprehensive exam were pass/don't pass. And the class grades were usually just A, B, or C. More than a couple of C's and you generally were out of the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, you taught as a grad assistant and you are honestly asking what is the purpose of finding out who the best\brightest students are?
Old 12-11-2006, 01:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

[/ QUOTE ]

Seems pretty standard to me.
Old 12-11-2006, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lol, you taught as a grad assistant and you are honestly asking what is the purpose of finding out who the best\brightest students are?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am asking what reason anyone else has for trying to determine if one student is one percentage point better than another. I have been there, on both sides, and I see no purpose for that kind of detail.

I knew who the best and the brightest of my students were without grading out to the 5th decimal point. And the more complex you make a grading system, the more the students focus on the system rather than on the subject.

If 2 grad school applicants have grades within a few percentage points of each other, the decision is going to be made on the basis of other criteria. You aren't going to get a job based solely on your grade point. Small difference in grades do not necessarily show who is the best student. I have hired a lot of people, and I never looked at a transcript. I have had many jobs, and have never provided a transcript. Too many undergrads spend too much time worrying about GPAs.
Old 12-11-2006, 03:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you from? Grade inflation High?
Old 12-11-2006, 04:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
SUFan5,
85-90 is an A
90+ is an A+

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Where are you from? Grade inflation High?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes giving out lower grades then adjusting the letter grades they correspond to sure is grade inflation. Jesus your stupid. About 1-3 kids out of a class of 100 get 90s in most of my classes. The average grade is always between 67-72. An 80 is considered a good mark.

BF,
You didn't "know" who the best and brightest are. You thought you did because they either could communicate their thoughts better verbally or for some other unquantifiable reason. It is useful for things such as research positions, hiring tutors, co-op job positions or even grad school to know who the very best are. You don't get that with the letter grading system. And again like I said it lumps people together who should not be together. The difference between a 80 and a 84 is pretty damn big. They shouldn't be lumped into the same group. (also wtf an A for just understanding the material, is this highschool?)
Old 12-11-2006, 04:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
lol at A+'s in any post-secondary school.

[/ QUOTE ]

Seriously, who gets/gives A+'s past like 4th grade.

A=4.0=highest grade possible

Valedictorians w/ 4.18 GPA's is just dumb.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You didn't "know" who the best and brightest are.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could tell after grading the first exam who the best students were. Given 2 excellent students, I couldn't tell you which was "better" than the other by any objective standards (IQ or whatever), but it it was close enough not to make any difference. And if you told me you wanted one of them for a position or job or whatever, I could tell you which was better suited, and which one I picked would depend on the situation, not on a grade out to 10 decimal places.

[ QUOTE ]
You thought you did because they either could communicate their thoughts better verbally or for some other unquantifiable reason.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't care what you know, if you can't communicate it, you are not a good student.

[ QUOTE ]
It is useful for things such as research positions, hiring tutors, co-op job positions or even grad school to know who the very best are.

[/ QUOTE ]

The real world doesn't work that way. If it did, a computer could do the hiring, and there would never be personal interviews for any appointment or hiring.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Seriously, who gets/gives A+'s past like 4th grade.

A=4.0=highest grade possible

Valedictorians w/ 4.18 GPA's is just dumb.

[/ QUOTE ]

At my high school you got a 5.0 for an A in an AP class, not for an A+. This is what caused +4.0 GPAs There was no such grade as an A+.

We also had the stupidest valedictorian system ever. We didn't have a single valedictorian. Instead, anyone who received straight A's was a part of the valedictorian group. As a result you had a couple people that were borderline retarded being honored as a valedictorian, basically the type of person that was taking math classes senior year that I took back in middle school.