Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-07-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Re: pokerstars echecks.Can I used this without entering my SSN?

[ QUOTE ]
I apologize for sounding harsh and I apologize to OP. It's just that I guess I never have heard of anyone having problems with identity theft that wasn't some rube getting scammed from a Nigerian email. I also didn't take into consideration that PokerStars is not issuing the echecks on their own and using a third party company but like Henry17 stated, trust goes both ways.

[/ QUOTE ]
My identity was stolen when I refinanced my house. An employee with Wells Fargo photcopied my docs and the police found them in the car of some thieves who were out buying ATV's on credit they were applying for in my name. They had already gotten a bunch of accounts, phones, phone cards, etc. and run up $30K worth of bills.

I had no choice about giving my SSN to Wells but in general I think it is smart to give it out as rarely as possible. Having a CC stolen is way less of a problem than having your SSN stolen and the thieves getting 20 credit cards and accounts with it.
Old 11-07-2007, 02:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I never have heard of anyone having problems with identity theft that wasn't some rube getting scammed from a Nigerian email.

[/ QUOTE ]

happens all the time without being nigerian sillyness.
Employees at some places have access to so much info and don't get paid very much.
Then they hear of all the people having their identities or credit-numbers stolen so figure it is happening all the time anyway so why not give it a shot.
etc etc etc.
Old 11-07-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I never have heard of anyone having problems with identity theft that wasn't some rube getting scammed from a Nigerian email.

[/ QUOTE ]

happens all the time without being nigerian sillyness.
Employees at some places have access to so much info and don't get paid very much.
Then they hear of all the people having their identities or credit-numbers stolen so figure it is happening all the time anyway so why not give it a shot.
etc etc etc.

[/ QUOTE ]
This is true Microbob, I would like to add something to it. A lot of times, if these people are in a different country, or even here in the USA, there is none or little recoarse. What I am saying is, even if they get caught nothing may happen to them. The reward is much greater than the risk. I learned this from Chris Hanson on "To Catch an ID Theft."